1989 Toyota 4x4 pickup oil filter?

Old 01-26-05, 05:15 PM
Seadragon
Visiting Guest
1989 Toyota 4x4 pickup oil filter?

I just bought a 1989 Toyota 4x4 pickup. I have been told by my brother-in-law, ( he works at a Toyota dealership) that I should use only Toyota oil filters. He says they have a special valve or something and will keep the timimg chain from wearing too much. I don't understand. If they need a special valve, why don't all the oil filters for that engine have it? I would like to know the straight skinny on this. Is he just trying to sell Toyota parts?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-05, 05:36 PM
Only one I can think of is called an anti-drainback valve. The valve keeps oil from flowing backward in the system when the motor is shut off.

These valves aren't unique to Toyota filters but some manufacturers leave them out in the name of economy. Some manufacturers may sell two lines of filters... a more expensive line with copious amounts of good filter medium, better internal bonding, bypass valves at the top rather than at the bottom and anti-drainback valves.... and a cheaper line to catch those consumers more interested in short term economy.

One can rarely go wrong using the OEM filter but there are aftermaket filters that meet the same criteria. A little research and a basic understanding of filter technology is recommended.

Old 01-27-05, 03:12 AM
I agree, We have 4 or 5 filters with the same base threads and gasket. The aftermarket could condense that listing to one or two numbers.

I have experienced aftermarket filters causing dry starts that were corrected just by using the correct OEM filter.

Last edited by toyotaman11769; 01-27-05 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-27-05, 05:08 AM
I must agree
Go with the Toyota filters

In fact I recommend going with Toyota parts as much as possible, these trucks can last a looooong time, and some of the aftermarket stuff can range from ineffective to damaging

Search this Thread