Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Faulty Thermostat?

Visiting Guest

01-26-05, 07:18 PM   #1  
KCWaldo
Faulty Thermostat?

I recently replaced the water pump on my 95 jeep wrangler. After replacing it, I noticed that my heater/defrost does not get hot at all. After a trip to O'Reilly's I replaced the thermostat. I still have the problem. Could they have given me a faulty thermostat or is there something else I am overlooking???

Thanks

Sponsored Links

01-27-05, 03:49 AM   #2  
if the problem just started after replacing the waterpump, the cooling system may have air in the system or not be full causing the heater not to work recheck the fluid level and check your heater hoses to see if they are hot.
some vehicles are equiped with an air bleed that you loosen while filling to bleed the air out of the system not sure if your vehicle has one or not.

01-27-05, 04:57 AM   #3  
No bleed system on this Jeep
Check your coolant levels
A defective thermostat is a possibility

AL

01-27-05, 05:02 AM   #4  
He replaced the thermostat. Could it possibly be upside-down?

01-27-05, 05:56 AM   #5  
Could be, but usually that would over-heat it

Visiting Guest

01-27-05, 10:56 AM   #6  
KCWaldo
I checked the coolant level, good. I will try a new thermostat tonight and see if that helps.

Thanks.

01-27-05, 04:51 PM   #7  
One more problem I have run into on certain year jeeps is that they were available with either a "V" type belt or a serprentine belt within the same year. The problem is that a serpentine belt drives the water pump from the backside which in turn rotates the pump in the opposite direction which means there are 2 differnt pumps available that turn in opposite directions and will bolt up and look exactly the same. I would suggest you at least inquire if this was a possibility in your year vehicle.

Visiting Guest

01-29-05, 11:47 AM   #8  
KCWaldo
Alright, I put in the new thermostat and refilled my coolant. I let the jeep run for about 30 minutes and the temp gauge barely made it over 150 or so (195 Thermostat). All the hoses are warm. The heater is still blowing cold air, could this be a heater core problem?

Thanks.

Waldo

Visiting Guest

01-29-05, 08:33 PM   #9  
GlassesRx
Here's my 2 cents....check the Heater Core if the rest is good. Think you're on the right track :-) Let us know how it goes!

Visiting Guest

01-30-05, 06:05 PM   #10  
backyardhndyman
just a thought

is it possible u hooked ur heater hoses bk up backwards on the pump

Visiting Guest

01-31-05, 10:02 AM   #11  
KCWaldo
Well I thought about that, but I have them hooked up the way it shows in the manual...Wouldn't I be able to smell coolant if it was hooked up wrong???

Visiting Guest

02-07-05, 11:46 AM   #12  
backyardhndyman
was just a thought

if u havethem hooked up according to the manual u shld be ok and no u shldnt smell antifreeze if they were backward

Visiting Guest

02-08-05, 08:37 AM   #13  
KCWaldo
Well I cleaned out the heater core and a bunch of junk came out but my heating problem is fixed. The engine temperature still jumps around a little and is not getting up to the proper temp, but at least I have heat inside!

Thanks for all the help!

Search this Thread