Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

87 caprice - engine model???

Visiting Guest

01-26-05, 07:21 PM   #1  
Badkitty
87 caprice - engine model???

We have the VIN # and Haynes book, but the digit that would represent the kind of engine I have is a number 1 and not a letter like in the book. How the heck do I figure out what liter engine I have? Anyone around here know?

Sponsored Links

VA

01-27-05, 04:06 AM   #2  
are you sure?

the 8th character is the engine designation and would likely be a H, G or a Z.

G and H are 305 V-8's and the Z is a V-6.

in 1987, a VIN 1 would have been a 2.0 liter 4 cyl...which obviously wouldn't have come in that car...so...either you have the wrong character or the VIN for the vehicle is wrong. Are you looking at the tag on the dash at the lower left bottom of the windshield?

Visiting Guest

01-27-05, 08:01 AM   #3  
Badkitty
Well the Haynes was saying it was the 7th letter/number in, which didn't make sense since that was a 1. The 8th digit in is an H. I already know I have a v-8, but I was looking for what liter it was.

VA

01-27-05, 08:06 AM   #4  
both...

v-8's (G or H) are 5.0 liters...the 5.0 - H is a four barrel carb

also...on the emissions label, if it's still intact, should tell you the engine size...it's located under the hood and contains tune up info as well as other stuff

Visiting Guest

01-27-05, 08:08 AM   #5  
Badkitty
Half of those oh so useful stickers have long since fallen off. I was thinking I had a 5 liter, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for the info!

01-31-05, 08:11 PM   #6  
engine size

Unless your caprice is a retired cop car, it's a 5 liter (305 c.i.)

Search this Thread