Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Camaro Milkshake :) (read)

Visiting Guest

01-27-05, 12:22 PM   #1  
Serial
Camaro Milkshake :) (read)

I let my aunt borrow my iroc last year and she brought it back to me saying the transmission was slipping. I check the tranny fluid, 1 qt low, not enough for slipage but not good. I open the radiator.. mmm Pepto Bismal.. yes like a pink milkshake. My natural asumption is a cracked transmission cooling line inside the radiator and I go ahead and replace it with a new all aluminum race one because lets face it who wants oem

I flushed the block a few times and could not get the majority of it out even with the coolant sensor removed blasting water through it with the engine on. I took it to firestone for a flush and they tell me the fluid in it has turned white and is persisting? I've seen nascar's dump white goo when the belt comes off the water pump..

I think they're crazy but can any of you guys think of what else can get into the coolant system and turn white when cooked like that?

Sponsored Links

01-27-05, 04:38 PM   #2  
You had the right conclusion in the first place. The problem is correcting the mess the whole thing caused. Not only did the ATF get into the radiator, but the coolant got into the tranny. Try running some water and dishwashing liquid in the radiator with the thermostat removed, possibly more than once and then flush it out real good before replacing the coolant. As far as the trans goes, your going to have to do a lot of flushing there also. Drop the pan and change the filter after you've used the flushing machine on the tranny a couple times. It's a real mess to clean up.

Visiting Guest

01-27-05, 08:56 PM   #3  
Serial
Actually I lucked out, due to it sitting for a year I had them change out the tranny fluid and there was nothing in it, I suspect this is due to the fact that I beefed up the master and slave cylinders and put in high tension bands and a large servo so the pressure inside the transmission is quite a bit higher than stock on account of how much I like tire munching shift's and competing with the manual guys. I cought it the day it happened so yeah I problably got lucky if the pressure droped too much it might have drawn coolant back in.

I'm not terribly fluent in tranny's but as I understand it they run at a real high pressure as it is because I was going to install a b&m tranny cooler with the rubber hoses and both people I told practically slapped me. I dont have the knowledge or tools to do my own steel flared lines

01-28-05, 03:49 AM   #4  
transmission coolers are often installed with rubber hoses installed on a barb fitting any modifications done to the transmission shouldnt of effected the cooler line pressure wich is usually around 30 psi there is alot higher pressures internally inside the transmission such as going to your clutch packs. master and slave cylinder would be components involving a manual transmission not an automatic.
I would just flush the cooling system again as suggested with the thermostat out and flush the heater core and heater hoses also.

Visiting Guest

01-28-05, 08:21 AM   #5  
Serial
Thanks bejay

The car's at firestone still (36 hours and counting) so I'll let you guys know how they do.. hopefully their machine is better than mine, though I hadn't removed the thermo I was flushing the block directly though the out to rad. hose.. so oily and sticky.. like fighting a fire with hopes and dreams

01-28-05, 06:23 PM   #6  
Posted By: Serial Thanks bejay

The car's at firestone still (36 hours and counting) so I'll let you guys know how they do.. hopefully their machine is better than mine, though I hadn't removed the thermo I was flushing the block directly though the out to rad. hose.. so oily and sticky.. like fighting a fire with hopes and dreams
Dishwashing detergent will cut that stuff good.

Search this Thread