02' F-150 egr???????

Old 01-27-05, 08:36 PM
BuXXbabygirl
Visiting Guest
02' F-150 egr???????

hello all i have looked thru past posts and i still need some help, i have a 2002 F-150 Sport truck and my engine lights been on for a lonnnnnnggggg time lol so i had a obd computer thing and it gave me a code that was for a egr valve, i understand from others that i need to take it off and replace or clean it, but i havent the foggiest of where to look for it, id take it to a mechanic but the funds arent there at the moment and i need to get it inspected asap, so any information would be greatly appreciated , thanks to all that reply.
other info on truck is standard transmission, 4.2 liter v-6 engine
thanks brandy

Last edited by BuXXbabygirl; 01-27-05 at 08:40 PM. Reason: more info on truck
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-05, 09:21 PM
What is the specific code number? If the engine runs fine (assuming it does since you haven't fixed it yet), it may be a bad sensor.

Old 01-27-05, 09:24 PM
BuXXbabygirl
Visiting Guest
it read PO401 i looked it up on the net and saw it was an egr i may be wrong!!!

Old 01-27-05, 09:38 PM
P0401 refers to EGR flow.... not to the valve specifically (there's a big difference between symptomatic codes and causal codes). The cure is *usually* the DPFE sensor but not always.

IIRC, there is an extended coverage plan on the DPFEs on many late model Fords (my02 SuperCrew is covered) so I would suggest checking with your dealer.

Old 01-27-05, 09:47 PM
I had the same code on a 97 taurus, along with code P0402. Replaced the DPFE sensor which fixed the problem. I see ford still hasn't been able to come out with a decent sensor. Check the dealer like mechanic said.

Old 01-28-05, 06:28 PM
PFE sensor 99% of the time with that code. If you still have the scanner and can read data with it, you can access the PFE data and power brake the car an look for range in the data from 0 to 5v. If no range the PFE is bad. You can manually activate it allso by applying vacuum on the downstream hose and watching data.

Old 01-28-05, 07:52 PM
BuXXbabygirl
Visiting Guest
goodness thats alot of information thank yall so much, i thought id be able to maybe fix it myself, but it doesnt sound like it lol, i will definatly contact the dealer, maybe its still under warranty for that problem,
thanks to all. brandy

Old 01-29-05, 09:57 AM
If its not under warranty, it should be easy to do yourself. There should be 2 to 4 screws to remove, an electrical connector, and a couple of vacuum hoses. A Hayes manual should have instructions, or when you get the part, you'll see what it looks like and be able to locate the bad one and remove and replace it, then clear the code from the computer.