Low idle speed problem - 96 Camry

Old 01-28-05, 08:19 PM
meisner
Visiting Guest
Low idle speed problem - 96 Camry

The car: 1996 Toyota Camry with a 4-cyl (5S-FE engine) and manual transmission. About 5,000 miles ago I changed the Idle Air Control valve. The idle was normally good (650 - 750 RPM). Today I found the car with a dead battery (still the original battery). After jump starting, the idle is very low. Like 450 - 500 RPM and seems unstable.

Another interesting thing is that when the A/C is turned on, the idle speed does not go up.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong? I live in New Hampshire and the temps right now are around 15 - 20. Oh yeah, the engine coolant temp is original (120,000 miles on the car).

The car needs a new battery. Could that have any influence here? Also, could the CTS be at fault?

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-05, 04:40 AM
Well first I think you need to replace the battery. Every time it goes dead the learned values are lost. Replace it and drive it around a while.

When corrected with the engine warm on a restart the idle should go up to a 1000-1200 rpm then back to normal idle. If it doesn't the ISC is sticking and can be cleaned.

It's not the CTS.

Old 02-18-05, 06:57 AM
meisner
Visiting Guest
well, it looks like you were right. I replaced the battery and not only does it start better, but it almost always idles much better...right around 750rpm. A little low for a standard, but it's smooth.

Every once in a while, the idle drops again to ~550rpm. I don't know why, but it does.