Calling Toyotaman

Old 01-29-05, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
Calling Toyotaman

Hey, Toyman. Recently turned loose my wife's well-worn '95 Camry for a 2001 (one-owner lease w/25k miles; got a great deal). Was piddling around looking things over and pulled a plug for a look-see. Hadn't seen one of those plug types before (or at least don't remember it). Has the two opposing side electrodes. Owners manual says 30k replacement, which I thought was pretty short for platinums. Also the manual lists either an NGK or a Denso. My favorite parts place has the NGK size for about $11 a pop (ouch!). Nobody carries the Denso except probably the dealer (haven't priced them yet).

Questions: Is there a significant advantage over the stock plug style over, say, a regular Bosch platinum?

Why the short 30k on the stock style plugs?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-05, 11:48 AM
They are 60k on the plugs, use NGK if you want, but I'd nix the Bosch.

Does it have a sticker on the valve cover warning to use only dual gap plugs?

Old 01-29-05, 02:24 PM
Group Moderator
No warning stickers under the hood, just the notice in the owner's manual that says "Only" use dual ground electrode, platinum-tipped spark plugs.

The preventive maintenance guide says 30k replacement is required to comply with the terms of the emission control warranty. I'm assuming the dual electrode setup makes for a cleaner burn and lower emissions. The plugs in it now are Denso and I'm assuming are the factory plugs.

Old 01-29-05, 02:52 PM
That sounds like a SE Toyota thing, they make there own rules. The Toyota maintenance guide states 60K.

PM me your e-mail and I will send you the pdf of the guide and you can see for yourself.

I'm sure they are factory cause no need to change.

Old 01-29-05, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
It's a Japanese origin car and the lease owner was in Dade County (Miami), so it's been in the Sunshine State its entire life (POE was probably Jacksonville; I recollect Toyota has a huge terminal up there). Email address in your PM. Thanks.

Old 01-29-05, 06:09 PM
Still means it was sold thru South East Toyota which is an independent Dist and not part of Toyota Motor Sales USA.