Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Calling Toyotaman

Group Moderator

FL

01-29-05, 09:20 AM   #1  
Calling Toyotaman

Hey, Toyman. Recently turned loose my wife's well-worn '95 Camry for a 2001 (one-owner lease w/25k miles; got a great deal). Was piddling around looking things over and pulled a plug for a look-see. Hadn't seen one of those plug types before (or at least don't remember it). Has the two opposing side electrodes. Owners manual says 30k replacement, which I thought was pretty short for platinums. Also the manual lists either an NGK or a Denso. My favorite parts place has the NGK size for about $11 a pop (ouch!). Nobody carries the Denso except probably the dealer (haven't priced them yet).

Questions: Is there a significant advantage over the stock plug style over, say, a regular Bosch platinum?

Why the short 30k on the stock style plugs?

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

Sponsored Links

01-29-05, 11:48 AM   #2  
They are 60k on the plugs, use NGK if you want, but I'd nix the Bosch.

Does it have a sticker on the valve cover warning to use only dual gap plugs?

Group Moderator

FL

01-29-05, 02:24 PM   #3  
No warning stickers under the hood, just the notice in the owner's manual that says "Only" use dual ground electrode, platinum-tipped spark plugs.

The preventive maintenance guide says 30k replacement is required to comply with the terms of the emission control warranty. I'm assuming the dual electrode setup makes for a cleaner burn and lower emissions. The plugs in it now are Denso and I'm assuming are the factory plugs.

01-29-05, 02:52 PM   #4  
That sounds like a SE Toyota thing, they make there own rules. The Toyota maintenance guide states 60K.

PM me your e-mail and I will send you the pdf of the guide and you can see for yourself.

I'm sure they are factory cause no need to change.

Group Moderator

FL

01-29-05, 05:37 PM   #5  
It's a Japanese origin car and the lease owner was in Dade County (Miami), so it's been in the Sunshine State its entire life (POE was probably Jacksonville; I recollect Toyota has a huge terminal up there). Email address in your PM. Thanks.

01-29-05, 06:09 PM   #6  
Still means it was sold thru South East Toyota which is an independent Dist and not part of Toyota Motor Sales USA.

Search this Thread