Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

88 4Runner ignition module/switch

Visiting Guest

01-30-05, 01:44 PM   #1  
Negoshe8n
88 4Runner ignition module/switch

I have a good starter, great battery, and nothing as I turn the key. I suspect that it is the switch. Is this just behind the key cylinder? What is involved with this repair? Thanks

Sponsored Links

01-30-05, 01:58 PM   #2  
Is it a stick or auto?

What about any aftermarket alarms or remains of?

Visiting Guest

01-30-05, 02:03 PM   #3  
Negoshe8n
stick, no alarm,

01-30-05, 02:14 PM   #4  
You could have a problem with the clutch switch, does it have a bypass switch on the dash?

How do you know the starter is good?

Visiting Guest

01-30-05, 07:30 PM   #5  
Negoshe8n
This is a friends truck. I was only told of the problem after the starter was pulled. I just had the starter checked at the store. It engauged and spun. So after I installed the same starter, I myself turned the key. The starter clicks but doesn't engauge or spin. So it can't be the ignition switch. I'm going to just install a new starter tomorrow and hope that is the problem. The truck just wouldn't start the next morning so it shouldn't have seized. It had oil pressure, oil, and a good antifreeze mix. It just doesn't have the juice to turn the motor over. I can raise and lower the rear glass with the switch, so I know the battery has plenty of power. I will swap out the battery just for good measure before doing the starter install. Thanks for the help.

01-31-05, 02:35 AM   #6  
A little confusing

Checking the battery by using the rear window is a new test for me. I think the battery needs to be on a battery tester to properly diagnose.

Did you replace the starter and still have a problem?

Search this Thread