1995 Nissan Pathfinder-Starter Removal Problems

Old 01-30-05, 02:28 PM
Question 1995 Nissan Pathfinder-Starter Removal Problems

Could someone please give me some advice on removing the starter out of my 1995 Nissan Pathfinder (6 cylinder)? Out in 20 degrees temperature on the ground, I managed to get the 2 bolts that hold the starter to the mount, but cannot wiggle it out-- down, forward and back.
1. Do I disconnect the wires first at the starter (can't see where they are connected to starter--very dirty under there).
2. Is there something else I have to disconnect before the starter comes out?
3. It seems the most straight forward way is to take out the front axle, but all that work doesn't make much sense.

Please, if anybody can help. Thanks in advance,
EDTA

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-05, 06:38 PM
You didnt say if you have a 4X4 or not. The only difference is that the 2wd requires the exhaust manifold be removed where the 4X4 model doesnt. The directions in Alldata say to remove splash shield, the oil filter and oil pressure sensor connector, and the fuel tube retainer bolt (fuel tube bolt on 4X4 only). Then you have all of the room you need to get the starter out.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 02-04-05, 07:18 PM
Thanks

Billy--

Thanks for hopefully the answer. It's been too cold this past week at night after work to do any midnight mechanicing. Tommorrow should be a heat wave in the 40's so I will try then.

EDTA

Old 02-05-05, 04:08 PM
The Start, Its Solenoid, The Shield, Beringer's And I

Billy (and all other readers)--
So, I easily take out the 2 tube retainer bolts and do the wiggle procedure towards the front. Starter still refuses to wiggle out. OK...nice day, 40 degrees, warm... I look for what I can see and feel for what's the hold up. Ah; a shield of some kind that prevents me from moving the starter and down. The shield is held on by 2 screws as I feel aroung (there are actually 3...read on). After some endurance and using an electrian's screw driver, I take out the 2 slotted phillips screws. Wiggle. Still won't come out, and the shield won't detach. Two bolts (10mm) hold the solenoid to the starter; they're relatively easy to take off, as well as cutting the the 2 wires attaching solenoid to starter. The solenoid breaks down and comes apart, gives up and drops to the ground. Now, I can squeeze that stubborn plate and guess what. The starter squeezes by the fuel tubes(darn tube, who needs them anyway) and another tube on the other side. Phew. To the shield was attached the non-battery wire from the harness of wires and a third screw holding it to the starter. The rebuilt $107 Duralast starter from Autozone does not have threaded holes to attach the pain shield, which none of the sites I checked mentioned.

Now, it's dark (4:30PM) and un-seeable. I knew exactly how to handle that situation, though. Out pops the cheap Beringer bottle of wine and immediately into a glass, which had no problems emptying into my personal fuel tank. Tommorrow's another day (warmer--45 degrees).

One more question if I might. In taking out the starter, a plug pulled out from the oil filter area. Any idea as to where that plug is located relative to the oil filter?

Thanks,
EDTA

Old 02-05-05, 04:17 PM
That wire sounds like the Pressure Sensor wire that I mentioned before. Hope you have better luck tomorrow. Its supposed to be 51 here tomorrow. But I gotta work.
Billy

Old 02-05-05, 04:52 PM
Thumbs up Any Idea

Billy--

Any idea where the sensor is located relative to the oil filter so I could easily plug it back in?? It's pretty hard to see from below (lying on ground) and impossible from the top.

Thanks,
EDTA

Old 02-05-05, 05:36 PM
If you get stuck and need help let me know
I'll pop over with my tools, sometimes a specialty tool can help
Those cheap wine bottle stoppers can be real difficult

Old 02-13-05, 04:04 AM
The Starter Is In

After 2 hours of manuevering, the starter is back in. However, in order to get it in, there was a metallic cover onto which a connector was mounted that would not allow putting the starter back in (and which I had to unscrew taking out); vertical obstruction. So, I wrapped, duct-tapped and strapped the connector to the body of the starter and just have to be careful next time the oil filter comes out so no oil spills it. Also, I originally positioned the main positive cable connector at the the quater to nine position which got in the way of a tube on the left so side, so it had to be repositioned to about a five to eleven position so it could fit in.

Billy, it seemed that for this 4-wheel drive, did the Alldata say anything about a metal cover with connector attached? I think the basic problem was where these 2 sets of metal tubing was connected 2 on the right side, towards the center of the car and another on the left side, on the passenger side. That, plus the metal cover.
In any case, after many scraps and scratches on my arm and hand, the car starts and runs, and the boss is no longer threatening to take it to a dealer to get it fixed.

THANK YOU BILLY & SLICKSHIFT!!

Old 02-13-05, 06:42 AM
Sorry, There was no mention of a shield, other than the rubber shield in the tire well. Im glad you got it fixed. Alot of times the first time can be a pain. But hopefully you wont have to do this again too soon.
Billy

Old 02-15-12, 09:24 AM
iam stuck getting shield off starter on my 1995 nissan pathfinder

i am having a lot of trouble getting starter out of my 1995 nissan pathfinder.have mounting bolts out, oil filter off , wires disconnected and no luck.cant find fuel line retainer bolt . also cannot figure out how to get splash shield off of starter.can anyone help

Old 02-15-12, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Have you checked the Autozone website....they have instructions. Looks like a real pain if this is a 2WD?