Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Explorer 1995 overheating

TX

01-31-05, 05:29 AM   #1  
Explorer 1995 overheating

Hi, Several things going on with my 1995 Explorer. It is overheating, and I don't have a Chilton's manual to look up the part I need. It looks like it is the valve inline with the heater hoses. The valve may need replaced? Don't know. Drive it around a short distance 10 miles maybe, and it starts to release hot steam from this valve. Also, radiator fluid is leaking out of it.

Another problem is when I start it, sometimes it will start but not idle high enough for me to put into gear (automatic) and it dies out. Doesn't matter if it is a cold start or it has been running for for several hours and turned off.

Another problem is I feel a hesitation in the engine when it shifts gears automatically. It does this rarely, once a week or so. I can also hear the a racking noise sometimes when I accelerate on the highway..

Is it time to purchase a new vehicle? It has 140,000 miles on it, cosmetically in decent shape, and book value of about $2,000.

Sponsored Links

WV

01-31-05, 06:26 AM   #2  
The valve you are lookking at is called a heater control valve. This is a commone problem as they are made of mostly plastic. There is a vacuum line on the top that controls the operation of the valve.
You should probably get it into a shop and get the hesitation checked out. You probably have a code stored in the ECM that will lead you to the reason you are having that problem.
The hesitation could be many things. You should get it checked out ASAP. Have you checked your trans fluid level lately? Have you had it serviced lately?
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

TX

01-31-05, 10:49 AM   #3  
Explorer Valve

Ok, so the valve should be inexpensive enough. My husband changes the oil every 3,000 miles since I have had this vehicle. Purchased 1997. He has had it serviced for all maintenance that he can't not perform. He wants to take to dealership to have the computer check to see how the engine condition is doing..like you suggested. I am ready for a new vehicle myself. He said, let's fix the minor problems before we trade it in. He could not find out the name of the valve though. I have given him the information you left here. Maybe I can still sweet talk him into a new vehicle...ummm..my birthday is tomorrow. ha He has a F250 4X4 Diesel Quad Cab 2001 and 2004 Ninja motorcycle. I am looking at the 2005 Camry and a used Celica GTS 2003, or a Honda CRV. Any of these I should watch out for? I know they quit making the Celica. Thanks. Susan

TX

01-31-05, 10:52 AM   #4  
Transmission fluid

Transmission fluid was checked and it is fine. Not a problem there.

WV

01-31-05, 11:00 AM   #5  
You might want to get rid of it before it become a money pit. I can tell you that the 05 Camry's are nice. My wife just bought one and she loves it. Her mom bought a Camry in 02 and she loves hers. They have made the switch from Nissan to Toyota. Either one is fine. They are both great cars.
Billy

Search this Thread