Check engine light

Old 01-31-05, 10:28 PM
shaderkris1
Visiting Guest
Check engine light

I have a 2000 Ford Focus with approx 90,000 miles. When I accelerate, it seems that something is stopping the engine from accerrating properly. I have changed the spark plugs, the fuel pump is new, and the fuel filter is semi-new. About a month ago my engine light came on, and they said it was for the EMS canister. They reset the light, but it came back on tonight. I haven't changed the canister yet--could that be the cause of the hesitation with the acceleration? Help!!!

Old 01-31-05, 11:17 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It would be much better if you posted the code retrieved rather than someones definition of the code (I haven't the foggiest idea what an EMS cannister is but I would expect to find it in the back of an ambulance).

There was a recall for the fuel pump modules that may include your car.... you can either check with your dealer (take your VIN and have them run OASIS on it) or post your VIN here and I can do it for you...

Old 02-01-05, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
I'm guessing that it's in reference to the charcoal cannister for the evap system, but the actual codes would be helpful. The EMS abbreviation is a little odd.

Question: When you get gas, do you routinely squeeze extra gas in beyond when the pump kicks off?

Old 02-01-05, 04:36 PM
D
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy

Question: When you get gas, do you routinely squeeze extra gas in beyond when the pump kicks off?
I just had a customer that does this and said he does it on his other car also. I told him it going to be expensive to keep replacing all the evap system parts.I think he agrees now with the $300 bill.Codes would be nice if we are to help.

Old 02-02-05, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Hardly a trip goes by at the gas station (a daily visit) that I don't hear the telltale "chnk...chnk...chnk" of someone on an adjacent pump filling that baby up until they can see fuel in the filler neck. It's a wonder there aren't more dead cars from it.

Old 02-02-05, 09:03 AM
H
I had a similar problem with my car and the problem was the oxygen sensor. It took two trips to the mechanic to find this out. Not sure why it was not diagnosed right the first time, but figured I would bring it up. Good luck.

Old 02-18-05, 11:29 AM
terrycc
Visiting Guest
check engine light

Just a question but what does this mean. When you get gas, do you routinely squeeze extra gas in beyond when the pump kicks off?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: