Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1980 Corolla turning over, not starting.

Visiting Guest

02-01-05, 07:23 AM   #1  
Thomas_Gunn
1980 Corolla turning over, not starting.

This is going to be a bit of a long post. I purchased a 1980 Toyota Corolla 1.8 Fastback recently. It was in great condition, started up with no problems, and purred like a kitten. However, I could tell from the way it was slipping that the clutch was worn and needed to be replaced.

After getting a quote from a repair shop, I decided to do the replacement myself. The first parts shop I went to told me that there were 2 different clutches for that model and year, based on the specific production date for the vehicle. The auto repair shop had also given me this information. I went to a different auto parts shop, to buy the equipment I would need for the repair (jack stands, etc.). I wanted to compare prices, so I asked them for the part, and they said that there was only one model clutch. I went ahead and purchased that clutch.

I proceeded to do the clutch change following the directions in a Haynes manual for the vehicle very closely. The new clutch looked quite different from the old one, but fit onto the flywheel with no problems.

After I re-assembled the transmission, I tried to start the car. The starter is turning the engine over, but it won't fire. Could the second parts shop been wrong, and given me the wrong clutch? Would the wrong clutch prevent the engine from starting? I tried push starting the car, and it would not shift into first gear while in motion, I know that some cars are designed like that, but from my experience with older Corollas, they are usually not. If anyone as any info for me, I would be very grateful.

Sponsored Links

TX

02-01-05, 08:46 AM   #2  
my 2 cents

If the engine turns over it is not the clutch I would check everything I think you might have a wire loose or something not hooked up.If you push start put it in second gear not first.Also make sure that there is no air in the hyd system.
Toyotaman is the real expert and I am sure he will give some good advice like he always does.
I am not sure about if there are two types he would know.
Did you replace master cly and or slave cly? I assume that you did replace the throwout bearing.How does it shift with engine off?Put it in gear and see if clutch holds car.
I am pretty sure it is just something not hooked up for the no start condition.

02-01-05, 11:39 AM   #3  
I agree with michael van;

Something had to disconnect, maybe the coil wire or the wire from the ignitor to the dist.

Visiting Guest

02-01-05, 02:26 PM   #4  
Thomas_Gunn
Thanks for the advice guys. The car shifts into all five gears and reverse easily while stationary.

I didn't open the hydaulic system up to do any work on either of the cylinders, but the slave cylinder is missing a bolt, but the single bolt seems to be holding it in place well enough.

I'll check out the electrical system I guess... god I hate wires. I'm just a little frustrated because this is the first time that I've taken something apart, put it back together and it didn't work again right away.

TX

02-01-05, 04:01 PM   #5  
something to check

I would say you need to replace the bolt because it might be cocking to one side with pressure.This next inspection will require a helper:With engine off and car on stands have a helper push clutch to floor while you are looking at slave.Make sure you see the fork move to push out the bearing and make sure it does not **** sydways because of the one bolt.
Just remove the one good bolt and take it to the parts store for a replacment.
I hope you figure out the thing not hooked up just look at everything maybe jiggle wires I am sure you will find it.

Visiting Guest

02-01-05, 10:57 PM   #6  
Thomas_Gunn
Thanks for the advice michael.

Visiting Guest

02-02-05, 09:17 PM   #7  
z999
Have you tried push-starting it in second or third ?

Visiting Guest

02-03-05, 08:54 AM   #8  
Thomas_Gunn
Yeah, it actually came out kinda weird, when i did try to push start it, it was in second gear, I was just checking all the gears while in motion to see if it would shift correctly, to check the clutch.

After I dropped the clutch, the engine rotated a few times, but it didn't fire. I've checked all the wires I can see, and nothing looks disconnected, but it seems like its acting like something is wrong with the ignition. Then again I don't know much about the car's electrical system.

TX

02-04-05, 06:11 AM   #9  
Check timing belt

It is possible that the timing belt snapped If it is broken you will get no spark.
Just take off the distributor cap and have some one turn it over it should rotate.
I had this happen on my 86 Toyota.

02-04-05, 06:38 AM   #10  
It has a chain. The coil wire will pull out when you remove the crossmeber to remove the trans (rear drive)

Visiting Guest

02-04-05, 09:24 AM   #11  
Thomas_Gunn
Posted By: toyotaman11769 It has a chain. The coil wire will pull out when you remove the crossmeber to remove the trans (rear drive)
Hmmm, I'm willing to bet that's what happened, where should the coil wire be attached to? What part of the engine should I be looking at?

02-04-05, 10:05 AM   #12  
It goes from the center of the dist cap to the coil mounted on the pass side fender apron.

Visiting Guest

02-04-05, 04:50 PM   #13  
Thomas_Gunn
Yeah, that's still plugged in. What were to happen if I had put the reverse light switch wires on backwards? Anything?

02-04-05, 05:01 PM   #14  
Nothing, how about the small wires from the ignitor (on top of the coil) to the dist?

Visiting Guest

02-04-05, 08:26 PM   #15  
Thomas_Gunn
All of the wires from the ignitor assembly seem to be connected to the various places that they go to. I'm going to be doing some tests with the fuel pump and ignition system, but I'm waiting for a friend of mine to come into town to help me out.

TX

02-05-05, 05:15 PM   #16  
something simple

I am sure it must be something simple maybe a fuel pump or bad coil.I for one would like to know what you and your friend come up with Good luck

Visiting Guest

02-05-05, 08:50 PM   #17  
Thomas_Gunn
Yeah, it just seems unusual that something would go bad while it was sitting in my car port, with the battery disconnected. I was thinking that maybe I put the starter on upside down, and its not turning over the engine at all, but when I looked in there, it doesn't looke like the starter would fit any other way.

TX

02-05-05, 09:08 PM   #18  
only one way

You are right starter fits in only one way I guess that is a good thing .Make sure that you keep the battery charged with a battery charger.
The reason is car batterys do not like to be drained and recharged it can kill a good battery rael fast.
So just put it on a trickle charger to keep it up to snuff.

Visiting Guest

02-06-05, 10:15 PM   #19  
Thomas_Gunn
Got a friend to check the belts while the starter is activated, and the engine is definitely turning over. Guess I gotta check the fuel system next.

TX

02-07-05, 05:59 AM   #20  
fuel/spark

You also need to check for spark at the plugs.The belts will always turn with engine rotation.

Search this Thread