Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Warped Disc (rotor)

Visiting Guest

02-01-05, 01:36 PM   #1  
Max10
Warped Disc (rotor)

I have a warped disc on one side (front) of my car. Can I just have it turned (or replaced)? Do I have to do the other side also? I replaced the pads about six months ago. Do they need replacement too? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

02-01-05, 03:40 PM   #2  
You don't absolutely have to change both rotors and the pads but it is the best way to do it and insure equal braking and not having an extensive break in period.

02-01-05, 10:41 PM   #3  
What I do to one side, I like to do to the other side.... At least to the point of maching one rotor enough to remove glaze and such if replacing the other. There is no requirement to replacing the pads at the time the rotors are machined but, in most cases it makes good sense. Bear in mind that a thick rotor handles heat load better than a thin rotor.

When replacing pads, don't look at the price of new pads... instead consider how much usable pad (in dollars) that you are discarding. Common recommendation is to replace pads when the lining is at or < 3mm from closest metal.

02-01-05, 10:50 PM   #4  
Forgot to mention the importance of rotor thickness. Some shops confuse "discard at" and "machine to" measurements and call responsible shops "bandits".. Adequate rotor mass is crucial to proper brake system function. If the rotors are to thin, they can overheat and transfer that heat to "bad places".

02-02-05, 07:16 PM   #5  
rotors

Iv'e found that there are a lot of cheap quality replacement brake rotors

in the auto parts stores that seem to cater to do-it-yourselfers. If the

new rotor is made in U.S. or Canada, I buy it. The ones made in China are

often warped in the box, the few that aren't, will soon warp on your vehicle.

Visiting Guest

02-02-05, 08:46 PM   #6  
z999
You can probably only buy them in pairs anyway, that's the case with wheel cylinders.

02-03-05, 08:37 PM   #7  
pairs

You can buy rotors and wheel cylinders individually.

Visiting Guest

02-04-05, 01:04 AM   #8  
z999
Not where I live you can't. (Australia)

Search this Thread