changing trans fluid

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-05, 08:46 PM
my_auto
Visiting Guest
changing trans fluid

Hi

i have a 2001 camry with 75k miles.
I think dealer changed the trans fluid at 30k.

I did not change after that. I am planning to do it.

Read the thread about transimission flush or not and decided to d oa flush

what is a good place in Longisland to do this? I was planning to do at Jiffy lube and read a lot of bad reviews

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-05, 10:27 PM
I used to be a big proponent of chemical flushing. When this service was first introduced, we saw some real positive results mixed in with a similar number of "no changes". Since then, my own experience shows some abnormal conditions I can only ascribe to chemical that wasn't evacuated from the transmission.

Not to say that transmission flushing machines are useless... they do work well at exchanging fluid. With the price of automatic transmission repairs going through the roof, I am more than reluctant to recommend chemical flushes.

Others may have different experience but I can only recommend to avoid using any additives or chemicals not approved by the manufacturer.

Old 02-02-05, 07:43 PM
If the fluid is changed regularly my opinion is that flushes are un necessary. Particlarly when changing is as easy as drain & refill. I opt to change more often than the manufacturer calls for. I can buy a lot of fluid for the cost of a transmission repair.

Old 02-03-05, 06:58 PM
Are you talking about a transmission flush or fluid exchange? I too am leery about introducing aggressive chemicals into a transmission. But a fluid exchange can only help the transmission.

Old 02-04-05, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by car nut
If the fluid is changed regularly my opinion is that flushes are un necessary. Particlarly when changing is as easy as drain & refill. I opt to change more often than the manufacturer calls for. I can buy a lot of fluid for the cost of a transmission repair.
That's only changing about 1/3 of the total fluid and not accomplishing much. A total fluid exchange done with a flush machine but skipping the chemicals is the best thing you can do for a transmission to extend it's life provided there are no extemely large gaps between intervals.

Old 02-04-05, 04:28 PM
gybe-it
Visiting Guest
Go to the Dealer

Working at a dealer (not Toyota) I see a lot cars that have problems because of improper service procedures done at a chain places. Most dealers have flush machines from either Wynns or BG both of wich are good. Think about this, who do you want working on your car, the six dollar an hour highschool kid who has been working on cars for about a year, or the twenty dollar an hour technician who has been to trade school, factory specific school, and who has been working on your type of car for years. Besides, compare the prices, you might be surprised. An oil change at Jiffy Lube and the similar here runs 31.95. My dealers price, 24.95. Dealers don't make much money on oil changes, some times they take a loss. But by giving good service they hope to make money with your repeat business, both in service and when you purchase a new car.

Old 02-05-05, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Desi501
That's only changing about 1/3 of the total fluid and not accomplishing much. A total fluid exchange done with a flush machine but skipping the chemicals is the best thing you can do for a transmission to extend it's life provided there are no extemely large gaps between intervals.
I agree that using chemicals is not a good idea. If fluid changes have been neglected a fluid exchange would be fine. However IF the fluid is just drained and re filled regularly I don't think a full fluid exchange is necessary. The problem is many transmissions do not have drain plugs. So to drain the fluid you have to pull the pan. On many vehicles you can install a drain plug when the pan is off the first time, making future draining easy.

I think your camry has a drain plug. If so you can drain & refill drive a while and drain & fill again and do it a third time if you want to. This is not quite as good as a full exchange but it is pretty close and you can do it yourself and save yourself some money. All you are out is your time and the fluid cost. You can decide what you prefer. From then on if you drain and re fill every 30,000 miles your transmission will be better off than most cars because most transmissions probably do not get regular fluid changes.

Old 02-06-05, 05:15 AM
Here’s another thread that is going no where.

My Auto didn’t ask if a flush was a good idea…that info was discussed in another thread, and he has decided to do a flush.

Only one member answered his question. You would be better off at a dealer or private repair shop, where you will find experienced technicians (most certified) . Fast lube places usually hire entry level or part time high school aspiring techs.

Ask family, friends or co-workers for a recommendation. Good shops usually do not have to advertise there reputation does it for them.

Closed Thread