Bravada AWD

Old 02-02-05, 01:49 PM
Bravada AWD

Last year I had my "service AWD" light come on, on my 98 olds bravada.
I brought it in and after much diagnosis they decided to replace the AWD module with a used one (my call). Everything seemed to work ok till now.
We've had a very mild winter and just recently had our first major storm.
I didn't have AWD? I never got a light or anything. I got around to looking at it and found a blown fuse (which happened last time). I replaced the fuse and took it for a road test. No, AWD and the service light THEN came on.
Is it safe to assume that I need another new module?
What is the correct name for this module so I can try to find one and possible change it out myself?

Thanks kindly

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-05, 03:36 PM
It's called a transfer case shift control module and is located behind the kick panel on the passenger side.I would have the codes checked before spending money.However I don't think a generic code reader will access the transfer case.Did the fuse blow again?If so maybe it's actually a short you are looking for and the original module was ok.I have seen windshield leaks ruin the module before so remove the connector and have a peek for corroded terminals.

Old 02-02-05, 03:47 PM
the fuse has not blown since I replaced it today. If there was a short that would make the fuse blow, wouldn't the AWD work with a new fuse?
When I replaced the fuse the service AWD light came on.

Old 02-03-05, 06:06 PM
well.....the "service AWD" light stayed on all the way to work and back today. Didn't blow a fuse. Is it possible that whatever caused the fuse to blow also fryed to module. I guess by design that shouldn't happen. Possibly the module malfunctioned and took the fuse with it?????

Old 02-04-05, 04:17 AM
We could guess all day or you could have someone read the code so we have an idea where to start.It's most likely the module or the encoder motor neither is cheap so I suggest checking versus guessing.It's up to you it's your money.Also check the connector like I said.