Fuel Gauge Problem

Old 02-03-05, 05:51 AM
gtori
Visiting Guest
Fuel Gauge Problem

I have a 2000 Chev Venture Van, 120,000miles, and the fuel gauge is not working. Most of the time it registers Empty, and the low fuel light is on. Every once in a while the fuel gauge slowly goes to full, stays there for a few minutes, then abruptly goes back to E.
Can anyone tell me what the problem is and if I can fix it and how? Thanks much!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-05, 04:07 PM
my astro did that about week ago and i replaced the gas cap and now it is working again

Old 02-04-05, 04:16 PM
Unplug the connector at the fuel tank the guage should read full if it doesn't you have a problem in the guage or the wiring between the tank and the guage.Now take a jumper wire(preferably fused) and jumper the purple wire to the black/white wire it should read empty.So if it read full first then empty on the second test your fuel level sensor is faulty.Yes it will require removal of the tank.

Old 02-06-05, 11:45 PM
KYjERRY
Visiting Guest
Similar problem

My friend has an AUDI and he had the same problem but his guage was stuck at the middle and wouldn't go higher even if he topped of his tank. He took it back to the dealer and it turned out to be the sender unit inside the gas tank. Theres a way to get into the gas tank but you needed a special tool for his case. Hope this helps.