92 olds oil problem

Old 02-01-05, 04:16 PM
sparkync
Visiting Guest
92 olds oil problem

Back again. Finally got my heater problem straightened out. Turned out to be the blower fan motor after all.
Got another problem now. I've been smelling burnt oil for the last few weeks. I don't see any oil dripping out on the ground anywhere, but today I could smell it bad again, and opened the hood and didn't see any dripping on the manifold, but I did notice oil around the "head gasket area" the best I could tell. I'm no real mechanic, so I don't know really what it could be, unless there is a gasket gone bad around the cover's etc... It seems to be all around the motor and looks like it's been either dripping or blowing out somewhere. Can any of you real mechanics tell me what it might be. I can't see it physically dripping anywhere, but I know that must be where it's coming from, because when the motor is hot, I can see some "oil smoke" coming from the engine. I guess whatever it is, looks like a major job to fix Thanks... Steve

Old 02-01-05, 04:24 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like it may be valve cover gaskets to me.You may have to get under the car to see the leak looking from above usually doesn't cut it.

Old 02-02-05, 09:25 PM
z999
Visiting Guest
How much oil is it using ? Did you spill any when filling up ? How long has this been going on ? Is there any plastic parts contacted the exhaust system ? Plastic bag wrapped around the exhaust ?

Old 02-04-05, 02:20 PM
sparkync
Visiting Guest
oil smell

I just changed the oil, but it was smelling before I changed it. I looked and I'm sure it's not the valve cover gaskets, but I'm afraid it might be the head gasket. I'm not a real mechanic, so I'm just guessing. The reason I say that is that there is oil around the seam of the motor down below the valves. It seems to be all around where that part of the motor goes together. I assume this is the head gasket?? I don't seem to have water in my oil though, which is what I understand normally happens when a head gasket goes. Any other ideas? The smell seems to be getting worse Thanks.. Steve

Old 02-04-05, 03:08 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maybe the intake is leaking making it look like a head gasket.I suggest you clean it off with a spray cleaner like Gunk.Follow the instructions on the can,after cleaning monitor the oil leak to observe where it's coming from.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: