Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Question for the Chrysler techs

02-04-05, 03:34 PM   #1  
Question for the Chrysler techs

See if you guys have a run accross this before. Got a car today another shop gave up on. 2001 Dodge Stratus 2.4. Problem with the power steering constantly cavitating air into the system from unknown places. This car has already had a new rack and pump (OEM), flushed thoroughly with ATF+4. I even put a vacuum pump on the resevoir. You can get the rersevoir deep red, with no air. start it and make no more than 3 stop to stop turns and the resevoir is pink foam and the pump is groaning. Somehow it's re-introducing air into the system. Anyone had one of these?

Sponsored Links

02-04-05, 04:07 PM   #2  
If the vehicle started out with that problem and has been bled properly(which I beleive you did) you have a hose restriction either causing air to be sucked in the return side or not letting enough pressure leave the pressure side causing aeration.A loose clamp/fitting on the return side can suck air without leaking fluid.I'm sure you already know all of this though just trying to help.

02-04-05, 05:30 PM   #3  
That's interesting. Wouldn't a loose clamp show up as a leak? I kinda suspected a hose problem, mainly because the other components were already changed...lol Have you got a way to isolate it?

02-04-05, 05:43 PM   #4  
Was the power steering flow control valve replaced or damaged during the other shops repair attempt?Might want to give it a look also.

02-04-05, 05:46 PM   #5  
If that's the one in the pump, it came with a new one.

02-04-05, 05:53 PM   #6  
That's the one I meant.Were the replacement parts of known good quality?If they were I would replace both hoses,flush the system 1 more time bleed it and see what happens.Does this car have some type of variable effort steering system controlled hydraulically?

02-04-05, 06:10 PM   #7  
No variable that I'm aware of. The pump was dealer. The rack I didn't change but it looks dealer. It has a remote, circulating resevoir and I'm suspecting that feed hose also. It's pretty long and has some steel parts. The return line runs all the way across the front of the condenser and back to the rack.

02-04-05, 06:39 PM   #8  
Make sure when you are checking it that the fluid is full or even overfull and let it sit for about 10 minutes between bleed cycles with the cap off to let air escape that was trapped.Cycle the steering several times without running the engine with the wheels off the ground.I think you are pulling air in the return side though.Let me know what you find you have me curious now.

02-04-05, 06:50 PM   #9  
The car amy not be there tomorrow. They were going to refer it to the dealer. I did that run and wait stuff all day today. It just foamed right back up again every time. The resevoir foams so much it starts pushing out out the cap. My biggest suspician is with the feeder hose from tyhe resevoir top the pump. It acts like it's starving the pump. I'll let you know if I get another shot at it.

Search this Thread