ABS Brake light stays on 94 Honda Prelude...

Old 02-05-05, 11:00 AM
Seemster
Visiting Guest
ABS Brake light stays on 94 Honda Prelude...

I've got a 94 Honda prelude si. The ABS brake light went on a while back. I thought it had to do with my brakes since they hadn't been replaced for a while. My father-n-law and I changed the brakes thinking that should do the trick. Unfortuanately it's still on. Making matters worse I have to get a safety inspection this month and I know they'll fail me if they see the light on. The brake fluids is at an acceptable level.

Any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-05, 11:08 AM
This repair isn't going anywhere without knowing what code(s) may be stored in the ABS module.

Unlike OBD2 codes, ABS codes are proprietary.... that is to say code descriptions and diagnostics can differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. It may be that your dealer is the only place to have the codes read in your area.

Old 02-05-05, 01:24 PM
My buddy has a 94 Camry and his ABS light came on. The code said the problem was the ABS sensor. The mechanic could not guarantee it, but he was pretty sure the ABS was still functional and the problem was limited to a faulty sensor. Every test on the brakes turned out just fine.

The light came on intermittantly for about 6 months, it was not on permanently. Then it stopped. It's been almost a year and the light has not come on again. He guessed that some wire was touching an area it should not have and it eventually dislodged itself. Not sure if this is your problem but it could take care of itself.

Old 02-05-05, 10:52 PM
Go to your library and see if they have an on-line subscription to Edmonds on Demand, All Data or a similar service for auto repair info. Read the ABS diagnosis for your car. It can be as simple as a damaged sensor at a wheel or a loose sensor. Each wheel will have a star wheel or a ring with teeth on it and a wire with a sensor on the end of the wire that senses the teeth rotating. If any teeth are missing or the wire is broken you have probably found the problem.

Try the easy stuff first. If that does not work you will have to have someone read the codes and diagnose the problem.

You may find the factory manual on line at www.hondahookup.com.

Old 02-08-05, 08:31 AM
boflaade
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Seemster
I've got a 94 Honda prelude si. The ABS brake light went on a while back. I thought it had to do with my brakes since they hadn't been replaced for a while. My father-n-law and I changed the brakes thinking that should do the trick. Unfortuanately it's still on. Making matters worse I have to get a safety inspection this month and I know they'll fail me if they see the light on. The brake fluids is at an acceptable level.

Any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
I am not sure if it may work on Honda but disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, resets the codes on GMs of the same vintage. The ABS may also at fault and the components need replacing. Trace the brake lines in search for a component that has wires coming from it. Unplug the wires to determine if the light go's off.

Search this Thread