Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Manaul transaxle oil change 94 Civic

SC

02-05-05, 03:40 PM   #1  
Manaul transaxle oil change 94 Civic

1994 Honda Civic EX VTEC 1.6L (16Z6) 147,000. I need to change the oil in the manual transaxle as the owner's manual and Chilton book suggest. Problem is both of them are amazingly vague about how to do it.

The owners manual explains how to check the oil, (if no oil drains from the plug when removed, it needs oil), but not how to change it. The Chilton book says to remove the drain plug to remove the old oil, but does not say where to put in the new oil.

Questions:

Say the oil is low, how can it drain?
Is there some other drain plug? (the guy at NAPA says there is)
Where does the new oil go? (I've been told that it goes in a 1/4" diameter metal tube in the top of the trans, under the air cleaner...someone else told me that tube was a vent. It has a rubber plug on it).
How much oil does it take? (Chilton says 4PTS- does that mean pints? I've never heard of oil measured in pints).

It can't be that hard, can it?

Thanks,
allenzachary
(relative novice)

I

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-05-05, 04:13 PM   #2  
shrtct
once you drain it from the bottom plug. just replace the plug and fill through the hole you test oil with. fill it until it starts to run out of the hole.
shrtct

TX

02-05-05, 05:29 PM   #3  
not that hard

Like said remove bottom plug (not for the engine oil) let it drain.Install that plug and about half way up more or less is another plug remove it and fill with the gear oil till it comes out.(fluid will be to the bottom of the hole).Reinsall plug clean up mess and you are done.(Tip) use some plastic tube when filling because there is not much room.

02-05-05, 10:38 PM   #4  
Posted By: michael van Like said remove bottom plug (not for the engine oil) let it drain.Install that plug and about half way up more or less is another plug remove it and fill with the gear oil till it comes out.(fluid will be to the bottom of the hole).Reinsall plug clean up mess and you are done.(Tip) use some plastic tube when filling because there is not much room.
Check the owner's manual. Don't use regular gear oil like many manual transmissions use. Honda used to recomend 10w30 or 10w40 motor oil. In 2003 or before they started recomending their own manual transmission oil. If yours calls for motor oil a full synthetic would be a good choice. In 1993 they were still recomending motor oil.

Also check the owner's manual for a picture of the plug location.

I think you will find it holds about 2 quarts or a little more.

You will find the drain plug at the botton passenger side of the transmission. It screws in horizontaly not staight down. If you are looking from the passenger side below and in front of the axle shaft you should see it. The fill plug will come out the same way but it will be up about the same level as the drive axle or just below. The drain plug takes a 3/8" ratchet or extension since it has a square hole in it not a hexagon bolt head type. I don't remember if the fill plug is hex or square, but I think it is square also.

Like was said the fill plug is hard to get fluid into. You can buy a couple feet of clear hose just the size to fit in the fill hole. Then get a small funnel that you can slip the end of it in the hose. Then you can have the car on level ground and fill from above. Put in the required amount in (yes they measure in pints). If it is running out the hole when you remove the hose let it finish running out and put the plug back in. If none runs out put a little more in until it does run out. Just wipe off the excess when you are done.

You can also use a pump type oil can to fill it but it takes a while.

Search this Thread