91 Camary not Charging

Old 02-06-05, 08:26 AM
Butchdodge
Visiting Guest
Question 91 Camary not Charging

I'm workin on a 91 toyota camary new Alt. Checked all fuses in car and underhood, They check out fine.UNLESS theres that 1 hidden 1, Any help?????????? Thanks.OPPS NEW BATTERY ALSO

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-05, 12:53 PM
There is no hidden fuses. Does the charge lite illuminate? Did you remove the Alt and have it tested?

Old 02-06-05, 01:22 PM
Either the battery or the alternator could be bad even if new. If its a remanufactured alternator, that would be more suspect.

Check the voltage at the battery while the engine is running. It should be about 13.5 - 14.5 volts. If it is, the alternator is good or could be intermittant. If not, have it tested.

Other things to check:
-belt is too loose,automatic tensioner may need to be replaced, if the car has one
-damaged, corrotted, or loose battery cables
-corrossion or rust at the battery cable terminals (remove them and check the insides where it contacts the terminals)
-plastic caps weren't taken off battery before installation
-make sure all connections are tight at the battery and alternator

Old 02-06-05, 07:39 PM
Butchdodge
Visiting Guest
91 camary not chargin

Thnx guys for respose,, Guess the alt. and battery goes back for another test,, My thoughts with parts store guy was uneasy the way he did things.
Thanks Jeff

Old 02-07-05, 02:46 AM
What was the original problem, was the charge lite on the old alternator.

You PMd me saying when tested it put out 13.4v.should be a little higher.

There are 3 fuses

1 under the hood CHARGE

2 under the dash in the left kick panel- IGN and ENGINE

Old 02-07-05, 01:08 PM
It's probably best to take it somewhere different to have the parts tested if you're feeling uneasy about the place where you bought them.

Old 02-07-05, 06:37 PM
Butchdodge
Visiting Guest
91 camary not charging

Thanks again Guys,, It was puttin out 13.6 hit wrong button here,,I didn't have chance to have them retested today. And thanks, I only checked 1 fuse under dash. I got into this after someone elses hands where there so not sure about the light , But as of now NO Light lit,Yes agree to A different location to be tested. Again Thnx, I will send out HOPIN A good results....
Car does run till battery dies I watch my meeter drop till about 8.6 then car dies.Just a FYI

Search this Thread