water temperature/water level

Old 02-06-05, 06:54 PM
brisbanelokotu
Visiting Guest
Angry water temperature/water level

Last week after installing anew engine to my old toyota liteace 2CT engine, We took it out for a test drive. Everything went smoothly except when we put on more power and speed the temperperature was going up very quickly. When we open up the radiator tank lid, the steam was oozing out and the reserve water tank was filled up and was overflowing. We then filled up the tank again and this time we drove slower at about 40km per hour. This time the temperature stayed normal but when we checked the water level at the radiator tank the level is dropped and the side reserve tank which is normally half full is rising up.

Then we filled up the radiator tank again and left it overnight, and when checked in the morning, the level remained the same, that is still filled up. This showed that we could locate any leakage. It worries me because the level only drops when I drive and I have to fill it up when I arrived at my destination. My vehicle at this state is not suitable for a long distant drive.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-05, 07:04 PM
I'm not a mechanic, however, from what you are discribing you could have one or two problems. First of all, you could have a blown head gasket. Check your oil and see of the color looks normal. If it's a light chocolate, it means there is water in the oil. Secondly, you could have a cracked cylender head or block. Good luck with your project. Let us know the outcome.

cuedude

Old 02-06-05, 10:28 PM
That was my initial thought... head gasket.... Local auto parts should have a "block checker" in stock...About $14 US last I heard, it uses a blue chemical that turns colour in the presence of combustion gasses.

Old 02-07-05, 12:19 PM
brisbanelokotu
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mechanic
That was my initial thought... head gasket.... Local auto parts should have a "block checker" in stock...About $14 US last I heard, it uses a blue chemical that turns colour in the presence of combustion gasses.
I am going for a new gasket now and hope it will be the solution.
Cheers any way!

Old 02-07-05, 04:32 PM
GlassesRx
Visiting Guest
Ditto on the Head Gasket... Good luck w/that one.