Chev. Suburban engine blown?

Old 02-07-05, 09:51 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chev. Suburban engine blown?

Need some advice. '99 Chev. suburban, 106 K miles, 350 V-8, last nite it suddenly, at 30 mph, bucked, clunked and forced a stop. Was stopped within 100 feet of starting the problem. Lost oil, traced it to a 1/2 " hole in the front of the oil pan, apparently from made from inside of pan. Sounds like it threw a connecting rod. what's the best couse here? Drop the pan, inspect for rod, bearings, scoring of wall? Assuming it is a rod, can the offending rod be replaced without pulling engine? what else will need to be done? Can a shade tree mechanic do it? does this usually mean a new short block? I planned on selling it soon so I need to assess how many $$ to put in it. Thanks for any help. TL

Old 02-07-05, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Probably spinning your wheels on opening it up to look. With over 100k miles on it, repairing the engine would not really be cost effective and would require the heads to come off inorder to get the piston out. Unfortunately, dropping in a short block isn't much better. Best way to go probably a used engine or just sell it as is at great reduced price. Need to find out what a used engine would cost, including installation, and then compare that against what the vehicle will be worth after the R&R. Bounce that against what you could get for it as is. Afraid there is no good news.

Old 02-08-05, 10:32 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tow guy- thanks for reply, got same advice from my local shop. Guess it's a trip to my local junk yard. TL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: