Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Deep scratch removal

LA

02-08-05, 12:45 PM   #1  
Deep scratch removal

Hello,
I have a 2004 Nissan Titan (Deep water blue color) which has some surface scratches from branches, and shrubs. What is the best treatment(waxes, compound, etc.) to help remove the abrasions without affecting the paint?

Thanks,

Joey

Sponsored Links

02-08-05, 02:07 PM   #2  
It depends how deep the scratches are. Usually if you can catch them with your fingernail, they are too deep to get out. I always wetsand my scratches using 1500 grit sand paper. Afterwards, I use a rubbing compund with a buffing wheel and remove the sanding marks. Then I apply a polish with a polish pad on the buffing wheel and bring it to shine. Extreme care is needed when wet sanding/buffing--you take a risk of sanding through the clearcoat.

Visiting Guest

02-08-05, 03:30 PM   #3  
johnierocket
also you could lightly sand the area making the edges a little less noticeable. then mask off the area and use some touch up paint to fill in the scratch. this may take several applications because you dont want to apply too much at one time. allow time for the area to dry and for the paint to "cure".go over the area again with wet sand paper the smallest grit closest to a finish grit or use a finish grit 2000 grit. hopefully the area you filled in is a little higher than the surrounding area so when you sand it down it will "blend" into the surrounding area. to finish it off you will probably have to mask off a little larger area and spray it with a clearcoat, once again applying it in layers allowing each layer to dry between times. take of the mask and use the finest finishing sandpaper to go over the area one last time. after the 1st time or 2 you'll get better at it once you learn the technique. I think it is better not to use a sander or buffer unless you atre experienced in using these because you can cause more damage to your paintjob than the scratch. good luck

LA

02-08-05, 03:55 PM   #4  
Looking for paint

Thanks for the help,

I also have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia with some minor superficial scratches. I have looked at Auto Zone for the touch up paint can/pens. However, they do not carry the colors for my Sequoia or Titan. Any ideas on other vendors which I can find these paints? Sequoia (Silver) Titan (Deep Water Blue)

Thanks

Joey

02-08-05, 04:01 PM   #5  
You should be able to just go to your local dealer and either purchase some from the parts department or have the body shop mix you up some. Alot of dealer body shops do not charge for their bottles of touch up paint.

Search this Thread