CV Boot

Old 02-09-05, 02:23 AM
CV Boot

I was told my 1992 Geo Storm has bad CV Boots. Is this something that is a safety hazard? What exactly do they do? Is this something that is hard or expensive to fix? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-05, 04:16 AM
Group Moderator
Your CV joints are simply universal joints in the front drive axle. The "boots" cover the joints and are filled with grease to lubricate the joint. Once the boot fails eventually enough of the grease will be flung out to cause a lack of lubrication to the joint and it will wear to the point of making noises and eventually fail.

On a 13 year old car, if the boots have failed your best bet will be to have the half-shafts replaced. This consists of removing the entire axle assemblies, one on each side, and replacing them with (or rebuilt) ones. The shafts vary in price depending on the vehicle and the job probably takes a couple of hours. You might call a couple of parts places and just ask them the price for CV half-shafts for your car; then add about $200 (I'm guessing) for labor.

Old 02-09-05, 05:55 AM
you dont have to do it right away- no safety concern- not yet.
you can wait till you hear the clunckin noise as you make L & R turns.
Then if you wait too long after that you will probably break the shaft off and if that happens you aint going no where.

I got to the clunckin part before I replaced mine- actually a got a little farther than that- the car started having a mind of its own and was aggresively wanting to veer off the road- seriously!
thats when It started to be a safety concern for me.
best of luck

Old 02-09-05, 03:19 PM
Don't listen to that. The axle shoud be replaced as soon as it slings the grease out. Driving with a bad C/V joint can be dangerous if it breaks. It's also pretty easy for it to get grease on the brakes on some cars.

Old 02-09-05, 03:22 PM
Group Moderator
Hey, don't be discouraging people from doing things that could lead to needing a tow truck, Desi!

Old 02-10-05, 06:13 AM
OK Ok

Was merely a scenario - not a suggestion.
by all means we can listen-we often do around here. But ones action is derived from ones own conclusions.
Listen and process what you hear.
enough philosophizing for the day - I am going back to being a veggie.
Desi501,
You set it straight.

Old 02-10-05, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Hey, don't be discouraging people from doing things that could lead to needing a tow truck, Desi!
Hahaha....... Forgot about feeding you..

Old 02-11-05, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Same reason I just shrug my shoulders when towing someone who asks, "What do you think it could be?"; gotta keep those overpaid/underworked mechanics happy and employed.

Hard not to answer sometimes: "I was just driving along and then some lights came on on the instrument panel, the AC stopped blowing cold, and the engine started to overheat. When I tried to pull off the road it was really hard to steer; what do you think it could be?"