99 Malibu - ABS warning light

Old 02-11-05, 08:43 AM
Tino Vieitez
Visiting Guest
99 Malibu - ABS warning light

The ABS warning light came on my wife's 99 Malibu a few months back. After taking it to a Chevrolet dealer for another problem, they informed me that the warning light meant that the car needed new front brake pads and rotors. Easy enough, I replaced the pads and rotor myself, however, the ABS warning light remains on. Is there something that I may have missed or is there anything that needs to be reset? I have been told that it could be a bad ABS wheel sensor, if so, is this something that I can repair myself.

Old 02-11-05, 09:14 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised the dealer told you to replace the brakes and rotors for an ABS light. That does not add up.

My buddy has a 94 Camry and his ABS light came on. The code said the problem was the ABS sensor. The mechanic could not guarantee it, but he was pretty sure the ABS was still functional and the problem was limited to a faulty sensor. Every test on the brakes turned out just fine.

The light came on intermittantly for about 6 months, it was not on permanently. Then it stopped. It's been almost a year and the light has not come on again. He guessed that some wire was touching an area it should not have and it eventually dislodged itself. Not sure if this is your problem but it could take care of itself.

Old 02-11-05, 03:16 PM
D
If you can have someone read the abs codes and post the numbers here we may be able to guide you through the diagnosis.No there isn't a reset button like in bowling.

Old 02-12-05, 12:26 PM
Tino Vieitez
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your response. How do I go about finding and then reading the ABS codes. Thanks

Old 02-13-05, 02:15 PM
Your going to have to pay someone to do it for you. You'll need a professional scanner to access the ABS module.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: