Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

failed emissons what do i do?

Visiting Guest

02-11-05, 08:49 AM   #1  
photoop
failed emissons what do i do?

hi all i failed my emissions test today. the tree pieces of advice so far are 1). give it a tune up then drive the car around till it gets food and warmed up then retake the test. 2). replace the egr valve. 3). change the thermastat and flush the radiator. the emissions teseted out low in that the max is 9.58 and it tested at 10.48 anybody got a quick inexpencive fix. will welcome all coments. thanks, david.

Sponsored Links

02-11-05, 09:35 AM   #2  
You'll want to post the vehicle info (yr., make, model, engine, mileage) and all the emissions results to get a proper answer
Also which state might be helpful, as it may make a difference as to your next step

02-11-05, 01:47 PM   #3  
Could be the vehicle failed for Nox emissions on a dyno type test?I agree more info is needed as mentioned.

Visiting Guest

02-11-05, 05:05 PM   #4  
chuck_zc
Might want to try replacing your gas cap too.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

02-14-05, 12:17 AM   #5  
Hi photoop,
- here in BC we have to get a test every year too. Many older cars fail. Many pass again by fitting new plugs, egr valve and pcv . It's a bit hit or miss if we don't know exactly what it failed on.
Here, and maybe in your area, there are now many auto tuners who do a tune guaranteed to pass the test. ( many of them will also take the vehicle back AFTER the test and re-tune it for normal road running. LOL)

Do it Right - Do it once.

NC

02-14-05, 02:24 PM   #6  
Not a real fix, but I've seen some fuel addiitives that guarantee your car to pass an emisision test. I saw these at walmart a couple years ago. I don't know if they work but might be worth trying. If you try it, let us know if it works!

NY

02-15-05, 02:54 PM   #7  
Hi;
May sound crazy but if you install a new filter, plugs, clean the PCV, it will help. I have always checked these and never had a vehicle fail a NYS inspection. Even had one pass inspection with flying colors where the tester tried to make it fail because I refused to pay him 400 USD for a caliper resurfacing that wasn't even needed. He failed the car on the calipers and shortly after lost his license and had to close the shop. I was considering getting rid of the car and he helped make the decision. Donated and took the tax deduction and recently saw it on the road. :-)

MD

02-15-05, 05:18 PM   #8  
Boosting the ilde will help with the idle test and use some drygas and use supreme gas as well as the other suggestions.

Search this Thread