help my misfire

Old 02-11-05, 01:03 PM
help my misfire

The car a í97 Chevy, Lumina with 3.1L and 40,000 owned by me since 11-04 randomly misfires. Maybe once every three weeks, which means maybe 1 in 200 starts.

Here is what I have observed:
It is always happens on start-up, never while driving.
The car is always cooler than operating temp. It may have sat for 2 hours or 2 days.
The weather and ambient temp does not seem to matter.
Except for one time, which is detailed below, the problem has been resolved by waiting. This means I stopped the car and immediately restarted it, or I came back to it after several hours to take a look, and it was then running fine.

The cylinder affected and frequency of each is as follows:
#3: 60%
#4: 35%
#2: 5%

My repair attempt:
Only once did the problem persist. I had a # 4 that would not run after waiting, so I did the following:

1. I switched coils to see if the problem moved with the coil. It did not and the problem stayed.
2. I switched plugs and wires to see if the problem would move. The problem stopped, and I could not prove anything, so I stopped.
3. A few days latter I switched the wires back to their original positions, since they are numbered and I did not want to be confused in the future.

Additional observations/reflections:
I may have moved the #4 plug to #2, but I donít remember. The one time the problem happened after I switched plugs around about 3 weeks ago was on #2.

The one strange thing I noticed was that the ground electrode on the #4 plug had a tit on it just like the tit I get on the points on my VW. I have never seen that on a plug, but I have no knowledge of platinum plugs and the problem did not move with the plug, so I though it was nothing.

I am stumped. All the wires and plugs look good. I donít think there is a problem with the coils or module. I understand that the cylinders spark in pairs, so I would think the misfire would happen in pairs if spark were the problem.

I was set to move injectors around, but I have doubts about that, since the problem is random and infrequent.

How is misfire detected?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-05, 02:04 PM
I would get the injectors cleaned or add a strong injector cleaner to the tank and I would do some type of top engine cleaning with the engine running.A solvent designed and metered through a vacuum hose.If there is no corrossion on any coil tower or black soot,rust etc and nothing visable on the plug end or porcelin you may either have a sticking or clogged injector or some type of buildup on the valve stems.Be warned just because the scan tool says it's 1 certain cylinder that may not be the case.Always check the companion cylinder for the affected coil.1/4-2/5-6/3.Also change the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure with a guage 35-40psi would be ok.

Old 02-11-05, 02:45 PM
davo

What type (brand) of in-tank injector cleaner do you recommend?
Do you also mean spray something like Gumout into a vacuum hose with the engine running?

I'll try it thanks.

Old 02-11-05, 03:02 PM
Try using the fuel system cleaner first with a tank of premium and change the fuel filter.I won't mention a specific brand but buy the strongest one they have and use it according to directions.The intake cleaner must be metered through a valve to prevent engine damage so try the other stuff first and we can go from there.

Old 02-13-05, 06:13 PM
davo

I put the stuff in the tank and will do it again for the next tank.
Also, I changed fuel filter.

Per my gage, I had 41 psi w/ KOEO and 38 psi w/ KOER and vacuum to regulator. The readings were the same before and after the filter change.

I'll keep you posted.