1997 Chevy Silverado V8 5.0L.

Old 02-11-05, 05:42 PM
wcac1
Visiting Guest
1997 Chevy Silverado V8 5.0L.

My truck starts and runs good when its cold. Once it starts warm up and at normal running temp. It will not pick-up speed from a stopped possition or even while it moving I can't step on the gas because it bogs out and dies. If I let up on the gas I can save it and it won't die out. If its hot and it dies out it won't start back up untill it cools down a few minutes. The same happens at idle, If I floor it hard it will die out unless I let up on the gas and save it from dieing out.
I have replaced the Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Oxigen Sensers, the Mass Air Flow Senser, Spark Plugs, and the Spark Plug Wires. None have help any and it still having the same problem.
Thank you to anyones assistance.
Wily

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-05, 04:15 AM
Have the exhaust back pressure checked you may have a clogged convertor.Also check your air filter and intake system for restriction and don't replace the paper type filter with a resusable oil type.Check the fuel pressure regulator for leaking at the vacuum pipe by pulling it off with the truck running and shut off.Let us know what you find.

Old 02-12-05, 07:19 AM
Get a fuel pressure gage and leave connected. Then drive it to see what the pressure does while in a failed state . It should not fall off at all. It should go up upon acceleration if anything. If u used an aftermarket pump, it could be the culprit. Either that or a fuel line is restricted, kinked probly.
OH yeah, pressure on that should be around 55 psi while at idle, and it takes at least 60 to start it.

Old 02-12-05, 07:20 AM
Good point about the plugged exhaust.

He won't be able to get to the fuel pressue regulator though cuz it's under the plenum.

Old 02-12-05, 05:02 PM
wcac1
Visiting Guest
My chevy truck

pressure checked out good. Air filter is new K & N. Fuel press checks out at 45 to 50 and when I accelerate it goes up tp 50 and maintain it well but not 55 psi.
Today I've replace the rotor, Distributor cap, and Module. When I went to start the car it cranked but would not start. I may have cross some wires but aI was sure I did it right. Anyone know the firing order for a 97 Chevy V8 5.0 L. Also the the piston order on the engine.

I can't wait to get the Shop manual from Helm Inc.

Thank you to you all !

Old 02-13-05, 03:50 AM
Drivers side of engine front to rear is 1-3-5-7 passenger side is 2-4-6-8 and you don't need the firing order because the cap is numbered to save you the trouble.I also specifically told you not to use an oil type filter on your truck because it can contaminate the MAF sensor and cause the problem you are having so your problem may be self induced.

Old 02-15-05, 06:40 PM
wcac1
Visiting Guest
Davo are you telling me that the K & N filter is a oil type filter? And I shouldn't use it? Let me know please.

I took the car to the dealer Monday morning and they got it running for me. I had messed up the timming and they straightened it out. However I'm back to the original problem of the hesitation and they told me It is the fuel pump. Its not keeping the pressure up. So I drove the truck home. and I'm in the middle of replacing the fuel oumo myself.

Thank you

Old 02-16-05, 03:45 AM
K&N filters have oil on them and are resuable by cleaning and re-oiling the filter.The problem is some of the oil comes out of the filter and gets in the MAF causing bad readings and drivability problems.I'm saying for sure it's your problem right now but it can cause problems so be aware of it.

Search this Thread