car won't turn

Old 02-12-05, 12:35 PM
verdeGreen
Visiting Guest
car won't turn

alright, first post. im a do it yourselfer so i'd like to learn how. problem is i came out today to drive to work and the car engine wouldn't turn. (the car i drive is a 93 chrysler new yorker 5th ave btw) all i just hear is just a clicking sound. ive called AAA to give me a jump and im going to buy jumper cables for the future but what really troubles me is this: ive replaced my battery not 2 weeks ago at AutoZone now im having the same problem as i did before i replaced it. could it be the alternator? could it be something else? if it would too hard to replace yourself, whats the cost on parts and labor? id appreciate any advice or help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-05, 02:12 PM
If this has the Jap style starter the problem could likely be in the solenoid. Inside the solenoid, there is a disc and two contacts. One of the contacts self destructs over time and can't complete the circuit for the motor.

I'm told that these contacts are available in some parts stores though I have yet to find a supplier locally. Difficulty level is about a 3 on a 5 scale but only if you remember to disconnect the ground cable at the battery first.

Old 02-12-05, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Check with a specialty shop that does starters and alternators; they should have the solenoid contacts on the shelf (and they might do the work for a reasonable charge if you're not comfortable doing it). Other possibility is the starter itself. If you try to jump it and still get the same type sound with no engine rotation, solenoid or starter probably belly up.