Bad smell coming from my 2001 Jeep Grd Ch Vents on start up

Old 02-12-05, 07:20 PM
signal2000
Visiting Guest
Bad smell coming from my 2001 Jeep Grd Ch Vents on start up

I have a 2001 Jeep Grd Cheerokee. At start up only, for a few minutes a bad smell, almost like amonia or as bad as it sounds, manure comes from my vents. It goes away after a couple of minutes. Is this just my filter or is this somthing else?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-05, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by signal2000
I have a 2001 Jeep Grd Cheerokee. At start up only, for a few minutes a bad smell, almost like amonia or as bad as it sounds, manure comes from my vents. It goes away after a couple of minutes. Is this just my filter or is this somthing else?
This is a common problem. You get mildew on the evaporator and it stinks for a few minutes. You can get a disinfectant kit from most big auto parts stores or from Chrysler. Also, I don't know if Chrysler has a kit to keep the blower motor running for a short period of time after the key is turned off. This dries up all the moisture that causes the mildew. This has been an addtional fix for some other makes like GM...you might want to check with Chrysler.
http://www.allpar.com/fix/acsmell.html

Old 02-13-05, 04:33 AM
Or the evaporator is actually leaking.Refrigerant oil smells really bad after being in a system for a while.Unless the problem was fixed Grand Cherokees were famous for evaporator leaks.

Old 02-13-05, 07:09 AM
I have to agree with both Davo and Stevo. Although I would definately take the cheapest route first and try the disenfectant to eliminate the odor. How does your A/C function? I realize it is still quite cold in most parts of the country, but does it seem to function properly?
Hope this helps ya,
Billy