Ford truck cruise control not working

Old 02-13-05, 11:27 AM
Ford truck cruise control not working

Hello again! I have a '94 Ford F-150 (4.9l I-6, E4OD, 2WD) on which the cruise control does not work. I had a friend repair the clockspring due to a non-working horn, and after re-installing the clockspring, the horn now works. I read the same continuity/resistance through the wire pairs under the dash as at the steering wheel cruise buttons. I have left the SRS bag disconnected for now (it's still giving me a code 32 - bag connection problem code?), but the cruise does not work at all. Will leaving the bag disconnected affect the cruise control somehow, not allowing it to operate? I'm getting ready to take this truck on a fairly long trip - I'd rather use the cruise than my right foot, if possible! Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-05, 12:13 PM
If the circuitry is connected in the column then they likely run together and will not run separately. Most of the newer cars I have had the opportunity to work on airbag or clockspring problems have the horn, cruise and airbag circuitry running through the clockspring so you may actually have another bad clockspring and never actually fixed your problem, just your horn.
You have to be very careful when replacing the clockspring. If you are not careful with it and follow the indtructions perfectly you could damage it.
Did your friend put in a new clockspring or a used one?
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 02-13-05, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. What my friend did was to remove the section of the clockspring that contained the break and resolder the conductors to the terminals on the connector. Apparently, the clockspring got folded over on itself at some point prior to my removing it and broke all the conductors, causing everything at the wheel to fail. On the Ford steering wheel, the cruise, horn and bag wires share the clockspring, but the bag has its own separate connectors both in the wheel and under the dash. I am tempted to reconnect the bag or to substitute the available simulator, if I can find one, to see if the cruise comes back to life. Thanks again for the input. - Chris

Old 02-13-05, 12:47 PM
You would be better off just replacing the clockspring with a new one. I bet then everything will work again like it is supposed to. I would never trust someone soldering around anything that had anything to do with the airbag. No matter how good they are. Somethings just arent meant to be repaired. One wrong step and your airbag could deploy at will, or worse yet, not work at all if you were in an impact. It is surely good insurance to replace the clockspring. And im sure the part is not that expensive from Ford.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 02-13-05, 04:20 PM
True story, Billy. The Ford dealer wants about a hundred and a half for the clockspring, but there's this website, like a Network for Ford Parts, that wants about $75 for the same thing.

Old 02-13-05, 08:02 PM
As long as it is a quality part then im all for saving 50% on a part. Go for it, but be sure its a good part and not some used or cheap knock off.
Good Luck,
Billy

Old 02-17-05, 05:32 PM
Cruise works now! Turns out the motor in the servo was locked up. A little WD-40, a little back-and-forth with pliers on the motor shaft, and I'm cruisin' like a champ! Will probably replace the clockspring soon, anyway, as a matter of course. Thanks to all for the help - Chris