1996 Grand Am - Ignition Issue

Old 02-13-05, 01:45 PM
method-cd
Visiting Guest
Angry 1996 Grand Am - Ignition Issue

Ok, I'm new here, just ran across this forum. This place looks like a decent spot to help out others. I figure I would drop in my question and then if I run across someone else that has an issue I could hook them up. So here goes.

1996 Grand Am V6

I've replaced the starter\\silenoid, alternator, battery, plugs\\wire.

Now I get in turn the key and all of my idiot lights come on. Radio kicks in, i can hear the gas pump engage. Here's the deal.. the damn starter isn't even clicking. It's as if the neutral safety switch was out on this thing, OR inside the steering column that sliding lever that actually sends out the pulse to kick it over is slipping. It has to be one of the two I would THINK. ANY SUGGESTIONS would be better than where I am now.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-05, 04:06 AM
Put a socket and ratchet on the balancer bolt and see if you can turn the engine by hand.If you can't remove the serpentine drive belt and try again.Is the engine oil and coolant full with no major amount of consumption?Did you reattach the purple wire at the starter?Get a freind and a test light,ground the test light and put the tip on the small post that the purple wire goes on.Have your freind attempt to crank the engine does the test light illuminate?With the headlights on measure the voltage from the battery positive post to the big post on the starter record the reading.Measure the voltage from the negative post of the battery to the starter mounting bolt record the reading.After you do these tests come back and post the results.You can do them in any order that you want.