97 Dodge Stratus...Power Steering Problem

Old 02-14-05, 02:06 PM
bubbas1
Visiting Guest
97 Dodge Stratus...Power Steering Problem

My step-son has had the car for about 4 months. He said he was turning into a parking lot and all of a sudden the car was extremely hard to steer. There is no fluid loss and it dosent make any noise when you turn it.

We got a couple of backyard mechanics opinions and it ranged from the power steering pump needing replacement, rack and pinion being bad, or one of the lines has an internal leak. He asked his auto tech teacher about it and was told that because it is easier to steer when you go faster that the pump may be kicking back in the faster you go. I wont even give you my opinion on that one.

What are some tests we can do to pinpoint the problem? I would hate to see him start replacing unnecessary parts.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-05, 04:13 PM
Does it hard to steer either way or it's just hard to steer to left/right only?, if it's hard to turn left but ok on right or the other way around, I'd think the sterring rack is going south but if it's hard to steer on both directions and there's no leak(fluid is full) and no noise, make sure the belt is there first then if it is, try to place a flat blade screwdriver in between the power steering pump pulley and the pump housing and see if you can pry the pulley off/out, sometime, when the pump shaft broken off, it'll give the symptom that you just described, if it's,the pump need to be replace.