Tapping Noise In Engine

Old 02-15-05, 04:46 AM
Tapping Noise In Engine

I Have A 2002 Chevy Venture 6cyl. W/81,000 Miles Last Night My Wife Told She Heard A Tapping Noise From Under The Hood When I Went Out To Listen It Sounded Like I Had A Tap Dancer In Yhe Engine. I Did Aoil And Filter Change (i Used 10w40 Instead Of 5w30)
After Putting In The New Oil And Then Starting The Car The Noise Was Still There And Then After About 30 Seconds The Noise Was Gone Engine Running Smooth.i Went Out This Early Moring To Start Car And It Sounded Fine . Any Ideas What It Could Be.
Any Answers Would Help Me.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-05, 02:41 PM
Has the engine had regular oil changes? If not my guess is a hydraulic valve lifter was sticking from varnish. The detergent in the new oil could have removed just enough varnish to let it stop sticking.

If the oil changes have been neglected I suggest changing oil & filter again. Use the correct weight this time per the owners manual (probably 5w30) and substitute a quart of Rislone for a quart of oil to help get rid of more of the varnish.

Old 02-16-05, 04:46 AM
tapping noise

oil changes r done every 3,000 - 4,000 miles since i have had the vehicle
wont using heaver oil help lube the valves better

Old 02-16-05, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by alabbadessa
oil changes r done every 3,000 - 4,000 miles since i have had the vehicle
wont using heaver oil help lube the valves better
Under normal driving conditions no. The 5w30 oil will protect the engine better at start up where most engine wear occurs. It will flow to the internal parts sooner giving them oil faster than 10w40. This is even more true the colder it is but it is true anytime the engine is started after it has cooled down from operating temperature.

If you were racing the engine or trailer towing etc. The 10w40 would give better protection under high load and high heat conditions only, but would still give less protection at start up than 5w30.

You have done fine on oil change intervals but did you get it new or could a previous owner have neglected to change the oil regularly?

It is not common but a small particle could have temporarily caused a lifter to bleed down and tick. The particle could have been washed away from the lifter and is now living in th oil filter.

Old 02-17-05, 05:10 AM
I Bought The Vehicle New. I Am The Only Owner. But Will Take Your Advice And Do Another Oil Change And Use 5w30.do You Think I Should Put Rislone In Also.
Thanks For Your Input

Old 02-18-05, 07:18 PM
Since you have bought it new and have had regular oil changes I think you could skip the rislone this time. I would not expect you to have much varnish. If it happens again I would then try the rislone.

Your ticking may have been an isolated incident like I mentioned previously.

With that said you could buy one of the 1/2 qt. rislone bottles and use it for a 1/2 qt. of oil in your oil change. I would not hurt anything, and would help disolve any varnish you may have.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-05, 08:14 AM
I had the same thing happen after I replaced a head gasket on an otherwise healthy engine with 54K. The embaressing tick went away rather quickly after a week or so and never came back. The car now has 64K.

You had what I call an 'isolated incident', where a piece of grit got lodged in the hydraulic tappets. In my case, I approached it differently where I used oil one grade thinner (5W-30 instead of the 10W-30 I normally use in the summer) to help flush out the contaminant.