Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

81 Mercedes 33 turbo diesel

02-15-05, 07:51 AM   #1  
81 Mercedes 33 turbo diesel

I need some advice. This vech. has high miles 240,000 automatic transmission, runs good. I am going to look at it again today to look a little closer. This will be my 16 year olds car so to keep the Insurance $$ down I have to keep it below 2000. The price is 1200 or best offer I think my offer will be below 1000. I am an avid home mech with much success at fixing my own stuff. Any advice.

Buzzkutt

Sponsored Links

TX

02-15-05, 08:56 AM   #2  
say what?

Read your post it makes no sense besides that you are going to give the car to your kid.Is it broken you say it runs good? are you trying to sell it?

02-15-05, 10:32 AM   #3  
Sorry, I was trying to do 2 things at the same time,I should know better. I am looking at buying it for my son. I did go back and look at it, runs good except for when it down shifts when you stop there is a loud bang. The owner stated that that is normal for that model. I am still unsure about whether to buy at any price. I have never driven a Mercedes and have heard that they do shift differently than a normal car. ANy advice would be apprciated.
Thanks

TX

02-16-05, 05:30 AM   #4  
my 2 cents

Mercedes does make some good cars but they are big bucks when they are broken.240 thousand is quite a bit of mileage the engine is probbably good since it is a diesal but the other parts including the turbo and transmission might be next to go.
I dont know if it is such a good deal for a 16 year old they seem to be pretty hard on cars and if they get a little lead foot with such a old car you might find out sooner then later how much parts for that car cost.
I would buy it for myself for 1000 bucks if the body has no rust and it is clean but then I am 50 years old and do not drive like a teen. and then it would not be my primary car but maybe a weekend car.

02-16-05, 08:35 PM   #5  
I would run the other way on that brand of car for my kid. When things go wrong (and they will) Parts will be expensive and only routine stuff like spark plugs etc, will be available at the local auto parts store. You will have to go to the dealer or order parts on-line and wait for them. Older cars like that usually sell cheap because it may take a small fortune to keep it running for any length of time. Same goes for other cars like BMW, Land Rover, Saab etc. or similar.

If you don't believe me call your auto store and see if they have even common items like water pump, starter, alternator etc. If they do compare price to one for a Honda, Toyota, or domestic vehicle.

You would be better off finding an older Honda or Toyota in my opinion. Or at least a ford or gm but watch out for lemons in those.

02-16-05, 08:50 PM   #6  
I have decided not to buy this car based on feed back from here and my own gut feeling. I just can't get past the bump when it down shifts, it just sounds expensive. Thanks so much for everyones advice.

Search this Thread