broken water pump bolt

Old 02-15-05, 09:59 AM
broken water pump bolt

i over torqued a bolt and it snapped. It's going to be a pain to disassemble the front again to remove the waterpump. You think 7 out of 8 bolts is sufficient? It's the very top bolt on the pump, and will not come out unless i drill and tap it. opinions

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-05, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by TileInEye
i over torqued a bolt and it snapped. It's going to be a pain to disassemble the front again to remove the waterpump. You think 7 out of 8 bolts is sufficient? It's the very top bolt on the pump, and will not come out unless i drill and tap it. opinions
If the next bolt(s) is close enough to the broken one, i`d say its worth a try,
if it does leak, you need to disassemble anyway,

Old 02-15-05, 02:32 PM
Unless it broke off flush with the block you may be able to unscrew it with vicegrips if you take the pump off.

Also if the threads were clean and it broke from over tightening not from a thread problem it will be a good candidate for using an easy out now that there is no tension on the threads.

You might luck out and have it not leak, but even if it does not leak now I wouldn't be suprised if it does not leak later.

If they thought 7 bolts were enough you caan bet the manufacturer would not have used 8