Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

99 GMC transmission flush

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-20-01, 06:49 AM   #1  
idle kicks up sometimes 93 grand voyager

need some help if you can - I have a 3.3 v6 in a 93 plymouth grand voyager - 158,000 and trying to go strong. Periodically I notice when driving in town that the transmission bangs a bit or shall I say - cannot decide to run in 2nd or 3rd gear..and when it is doing that - if I pull over and place it in park the idle runs up around 1100 RPM.... I think there is a connection here. Is there a simple replacement of a sensor or something that would eliminate this idle problem? -

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-15-05, 10:44 AM   #2  
gerard85
99 GMC transmission flush

I just bought a 99 GMC sierra 4x4 Automatic transmission. I'm going to do a flush and just wanted to know if anyone has any tips or things i should know while doing it. Type of transmission fluid im using is royal purple MAX-ATF.

02-15-05, 03:42 PM   #3  
Don't flush the trans just change the fluid and filter.Also use Dexron III it's the approved fluid for your trans.

Visiting Guest

02-16-05, 10:02 AM   #4  
gerard85
Is there any specific way i should drop the pan to make it easier to drain fluid?

02-16-05, 04:03 PM   #5  
Do you have a 4L80E trans or a 4L60E trans?I ask because the procedure is slightly different for each one.

Visiting Guest

02-17-05, 08:40 AM   #6  
gerard85
Type of transmission is the 4L60E.

02-17-05, 02:14 PM   #7  
Remove the shift cable from the bracket and from the lever at the trans,it just pops off with a screwdriver at the lever end.The other end has a u shaped clip that needs removed with a screwdriver and the black plastic part squeezed with pliers and pulled back to remove.At this point I bend the bracket that holds the cable towards the front driveshaft as far as possible. Be careful what you pry against.Remove the bolts holding the pan and tilt it down in the front most of the fluid will come out.Then pry over on the bracket while lowering the pan be careful not to break any solenoids.You could attempt to remove the bracket if you like but most likely the front driveshaft will have to come out to access the 2 torx bolts that will strip or break your socket while trying to remove them.Reverse order to install and add 5 qts and run the engine,shift through all gears and recheck the fluid level.Good luck and have fun.

Visiting Guest

02-28-05, 10:52 AM   #8  
gerard85
Finally finished and was not as easy as i thought. Found it hard to pry the shift cable bracket over far enough because of the drive shaft. So rather thatn removing the shaft i found it easier to unhook the exhaust hangers which dropped the exhaust about 1inch and allowed for the pan to slide right out.

Search this Thread