Pcv Valve Location

Old 02-15-05, 01:41 PM
jeffw60
Visiting Guest
Pcv Valve Location

I own a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3.1 L engine. I also have a Haynes Manuel For it. I wanted to replace the PVC Valve but I can't find it. The manuel says its in the front valve cover on drivers side. It shows a pic of it and I have a rubber grommet in the same area with a plastic tube coming from the air intake hose just before the throttle body, over and into this grommet. Its a perfect fit but no valve in it. I thought the valve might be in the plastic line so I took it off and you can blow through it both ways. Any idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-05, 01:54 PM
What you describe sounds right. A previous owner probably removed the clogged valve and just reinstalled the housing without it. Take it with you into the parts store to buy a replacement. If they don't match go with the new one. (I'm assuming the counterman looks it up right.)

Old 02-15-05, 04:15 PM
The pcv valve is located on the rear valve cover, towards the driver's side. You will need to remove the upper engine mounts that link the engine to the core support. Use a tie down or a ratchet strap and tilt the engine forward. You may be able to swap in a new valve if the hose is not dry and somewhat flexible. If not, you will need to remove the upper intake manifold to replace the valve. Inspect the hose as well, if need be, replace that too.