Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Would not start

Visiting Guest

02-16-05, 07:40 AM   #1  
jeffw60
Would not start

Have a new problem with my 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1L engine. Last night as I was going through town about 30 mph, the engine started to cut out and misfire bad. I gave it some throttle and it shuttered, then took off and ran ok til I got back down to 30 mph and it started to miss again. I came to a stop and it sat and idled smooth with a cut out about every 45 seconds.
This morning I got in the car and it cranked and cranked. Would not start or even try to start. I pressed the thottle down while cranking and it started, shuttered badly and quit the moment I took my foot off the throttle. I started it again and the same thing happened. I noticed the exhaust had a lot of load up when it did start. Finally I started it and kept the rpm around 2000 and drove it to work without letting the rpm drop below 2000. When I got to work I took my foot off the throttle and it kept idling. I shut it off and restarted it with no problem. The car is 15 years old but only has 57,000 miles on it. Maybe it only has 57000 miles on it cause its in the shop more than on the road. Don't know. Any idea what this may be?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-16-05, 11:41 AM   #2  
detivninu
I'm no mechanic so don't take my word for it. but the first thing I'd check is the fuel filter. sounds like it might be plugged up. keeping the rpm's up might have forced enough through it to keep it running and may have even opened it up enough to start a time or two. it's a fairly inexpensive repair depending on where it is.
Hope this helps.

Search this Thread