How to bleed an antilock brake system? Any tricks i need to know...96 chevy truck...!

Old 02-15-05, 04:33 PM
JoeRAC
Visiting Guest
Question How to bleed an antilock brake system? Any tricks i need to know...96 chevy truck...!

I have a 1996 Chevy 2x4...with anit lock (ABS?) brakes...I had a hole in the driver side brake line towards the rear of gas tank along the chassie...about 40" line...I brough a new one and made the Proper bends, After i got the New line installed...We tried to bleed the brakes...first we were going to do the driver side rear, then the right side...No fluid came out of the bleeder 'nut' whats causing this ...or do i have to take it to a gargare and have them hook up a computer, scan thing....
thanks really need help on this one please!
thanks

JoeRAC

Old 02-15-05, 04:50 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As long as you did not get air in the anti lock mechanism you should just be able to bleed normally. Did the master cylinder ever go dry?

If the anti lock system needs to be bled you will need to go to a shop that has the proper equipment to bleed it.

Old 02-16-05, 04:11 AM
D
Did you check to see if the bleeder screw is clogged?Try removing the bleeder to see if fluid will come out.

Old 02-16-05, 11:18 AM
JoeRAC
Visiting Guest
I took the driver side rear bleeder nut out and still nothing...tried to do the right side rear...could not get the nut to loosen...it rounded the head off...does the right side have to be done before the left??? or does it not matter?
JoeRAC

Old 02-16-05, 06:44 PM
C
I think the procedure calls for the r rear first. But that would not keep you from being able to do the left side first.

Old 02-18-05, 04:30 AM
chuck_zc
Visiting Guest
From the sound of it the proportioning valve has locked out the rear circuit.
You need to get a friend to help you with this. Leave the back bleeders closed and open one of the front bleeders. Have your friend kick the brake peddle to the floor. Keep it there, close the bleeder and release the brake peddle. You may have to do this a few times inorder to restore pressure to the rear. Best of luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: