1989 F-150

Old 02-17-05, 11:03 AM
MPET
Visiting Guest
1989 F-150

I have a 1989 F-150 with over 200 k , 4.9 l V-6 , the truck runs great but lately it will spit out oil into the air filter case thur the breather cap on the valve cover. I checked the pvc valve and its working any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-05, 01:26 PM
diagnosticmonke
Visiting Guest
Unhappy What They Call Blow_by

Sounds like the oil is blowing past the rings on the compression stoke causing oil to be inhaled into the air cleaner. Pop the breather line off and run it to a resivoir, pop can etc. check can after running a few days. Just worn out unfortunately.

Old 02-17-05, 01:49 PM
Is it the actual air cleaner over the throttle body (or carb) that is getting an oil bath or is it the little cap on the valve cover thats spitting?
Billy

Old 02-18-05, 06:57 AM
MPET
Visiting Guest
The little air cap on the valve cover thats spitting , is there anyway to stop it or slow it down or jerry rig it ? Is this the early warning of death ? If so how long does she have Doc ?

Old 02-18-05, 07:20 AM
I would start by replacing the $2.00 PCV valve. Even though you already said it is working fine. They do stick from time to time. This is cheap insurance and needs to be replaced regularly anyway. I would say every 15k even if it still looks good. This will help relieve your crankcase pressure and maybe solve your problem. I would also pull that cap out and clean it up real good and clean up the mess that has been made and see where it goes after replacing the PCV Valve. If that cap has a filter in it, replace it as well. They can get so supersaturated that they just wont hold anymore and let it spill out without even trying to catch it. While you have the cap off, see if the baffle is still in place under there. If not then the valve cover needs to be removed and maybe even replaced.
Oh, one other thing, make sure the hose for the PCV Valve is not kinked, or split or clogged. Pull it loose from the intake and make sure the inlet is not clogged either.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 02-22-05, 06:20 AM
MPET
Visiting Guest
I replaced the pvc valve and hose , the valve cover has a baffel in place and cleaned up the the cap. Now its road test time , time tells all tails and I hope this tail keeps wagin. Thanks for all your tips and help !