94 Grand Am- Help?

Old 02-17-05, 02:46 PM
p8ntballgeek
Visiting Guest
Exclamation 94 Grand Am- Help?

I need to replace the radiator on my 94 Grand Am(2.3liter-4cyl-sohc). I found a used radiator at a local scrapyard for $65(already removed) as opposing the $190+ for a new one. Any reason why i shouldn't get the used one? Also, what other parts(ie...hoses/clamps) should i be replacing along with it? Any help would be appreciated, thanx!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-05, 03:06 PM
The reason I wouldnt buy a used radiator for that car is simple. The radiator has plastic tanks and depending on how long it has been sitting it may likely leak. I would never buy a used plastic radiator. Look around a little more, you should be able to find a new radiator at a reasonable price that will likely outlast the car. I know Performance and Modine offer direct replacement radiators and some even come with metal tanks rather than the plastic ones. The monetary difference more than makes up for doing the job more than once using used parts.
Good Luck.
Hope this helsp ya,
Billy

Old 02-17-05, 03:25 PM
Used parts other than something like a fender (where you see what you get) are a risk at best.The radiator is as old as the one you are taking out and has probebly more miles on it.You don't know how the cooling system was maintained in the donor car so yours may overheat if it doesn't leak due to a clog in the tubes.If it does work ok in a month when it starts to leak your warranty from the salvage yard will be null and void.So $65 plus $65 equals $130 plus coolant and your time so which do you think is least expensive?

Old 02-17-05, 03:35 PM
p8ntballgeek
Visiting Guest
So, scrap the idea of the used radiator. where should i look online? A lot of my friends have been ripped off by "good deals", any reputable sites you can recomend? Once again, the help is truley appreciated!

Old 02-17-05, 04:34 PM
p8ntballgeek
Visiting Guest
Dumbguy with the 94 Grand Am

I'm going to purchase a new radiator online, and am wondering what hoses and clamps should be replaced, along with any other recommended parts. I can do the work, its just my ignorance thats holding me up. thanx again

Old 02-17-05, 04:52 PM
p8ntballgeek
Visiting Guest
Question

i was also told to replace the thermostat after blowing the radiator, is this true? can i be cheap and get away with the original hoses if they still look alright?

Last edited by p8ntballgeek; 02-17-05 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 05:34 PM
94 Grand Am

Hi P8ntballgeek,

I'm not a mechanic, but whenever I have replaced a Radiator, I've always replaced all hoses, and the belt. And there's nothing wrong with replacing the thermostat as well. I just do it to have one thing less to worry about. And as far as the hose clamps, unless they are the screw type, I replace them also. Adds a bit more to the cost of the job, but takes alot of worry out of it. Hope this helps with your decision.

cuedude

Old 02-17-05, 07:28 PM
wagonman76
Visiting Guest
Id replace the hoses and clamps. And the thermostat, you might as well while you got the system open. And Id replace the pressure cap too. A new radiator doesnt come with one, at least mine never do. Itd also be a good time to flush the cooling system, since youre going to be adding new coolant anyway.

Old 02-17-05, 07:42 PM
Thermostats that have been subjected to any overheating are "suspect"... Better to replace the thermostat than to risk all these new parts (and the motor) to a part that will likely fail in the near future.

Old 02-17-05, 08:29 PM
I would replace anything that you think might be suspect. Obviously you have doubts about the reliability of some components. I would say, follow your instincts and if you think its bad, replace it.
Good Luck,
Billy

P.S. I merged this thread with your other. You should post in the same thread when possible rather than starting a new one on the same subject.

Old 02-18-05, 11:13 AM
p8ntballgeek
Visiting Guest
Now, I'm kinda dense, so, is a pressure cap the same thing as a radiator cap? And aside from the two radiator hoses, should I be replacing the oil cooler lines as well?

By the way, I just want to say how invaluable of a resource this forum is to guys like me. Thank you all ever so much, i don't know what i would've done without your help!!!

Old 02-18-05, 05:14 PM
A radiator cap and a pressure cap are the same thing.The thermostat on your car is not easy to change but probably should be done.The cooler lines should be ok.You can try www.rockauto.com
Prices on there seem to be fair to me.