Frozen Air Condition Compressor

Old 02-18-05, 05:42 AM
Frozen Air Condition Compressor

My 94 Camry just broke down. The belt to the alternator broke. I took it in to the shop and they tell me the compressor is frozen. The wheel (pulley?) is frozen and something about the clutch locked up. They say I need a new compressor at $1300! Can you tell me if there may be a less expensive repair? I was just about to sell this great car. Its a V6 wagon w/ 137K miles. By the way I looked at the lens and see about 1/2 inch of water sitting in there!
David

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-05, 09:26 AM
Can anyone give me advice on this problem?

Old 02-19-05, 08:25 AM
From what you describe, it appears the clutch is broken (probably bearings). The rest of the compressor could still be good. Rather than replace the whole compressor and deal with the trauma (and expense) of replacing the dryer and evacuating and recharging the system that goes along with a compressor change, find yourself a specialty a/c shop that can change just the clutch. On some cars it can be done with the compressor in place. It involves specialized tools that your regular mechanic may not have, but the a/c shop should have these tools.

Old 02-20-05, 03:49 PM
Even if it is just the clutch, it got so hot before seizing that it likely fried the front seal anyway. Putting only a clutch on it will only cost you more in the end when you have to change it all anyway. If the compressor itself locked, then you may have other issues that led to that like a bad cooling fan or restricted condenser. You could save money by using a reman compressor instead of new but I highly recommend against that. They don't hold up at all. You really don't have a lot of options if you want cold air.

Old 02-20-05, 05:04 PM
Aren't the front seals ceramic?

Old 02-23-05, 02:58 AM
Originally Posted by Kestas
Aren't the front seals ceramic?
I think parts of them are but they usually still use some rubber.