Starting woes on a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder

Old 02-18-05, 09:55 AM
Starting woes on a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder

1992 Pathfinder with 3.0 V6 Automatic 4x4.

Symptoms in January - Would not start, would tick(fuse or relay popping tick sound) dahs lights would dim and nothing. Slam the hood and it would fire up. Frequency every other day

Mid January - She's dead, tick then nothing no amount of hood slamming would fix it Cleaned the battery terminals checked to make sure the chassi ground and starter ground were good. 12 V everywhere. All fuses are good Started after that but died the next morning. Frequency daily often started in morning but in the evening after work would fuss before she starts.

Mid january later - Starter is replaced, works fine all day, stop for gas won't start, this ime the starter's solenoid is ticking but it's not engaging the flywheel or pusing out the starter gear. No amount of banging the start, rocking the vehicle or bigger hammer got it going. battery was replaced by the shop that replaced the starter even though I tested it and it was fine. Seemed to fix it.

end of january beginning of February - The weather was warmer during this period 0 degrees celsius instead of -25 - -40

Mid - Febrary - She's back same situation as in January ticking no start no noise form the starter its a relay noise dash lights go out. Slam the hood, ***** wine and fuss and it fires up. Did not start last night but Started fine in the morning Plugged in both situations.

So what do you guys think? Bad ground, Bad terminal connection/battery cable. bad starter relay? Short circuit somewhere? bad starter?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-05, 01:31 PM
Since the dash lights went out, I suspect a connection or bad cables and/or corrosion problem.

Are you using a universal battery clamp(the kind where you strip some insulation off the end of the cable at the battery terminal and tighten it down to the terminal)? If so, make sure the clamp on the cable strands is tight and corrosion free. Otherwise, check all battery cable connections for tightness and corrosion.

Old 02-18-05, 01:34 PM
Sorry forgot to post, the battery terminals are the stock ones which I've cleaned and lubed with dielectric grease and I've tested all the ground points to the cassie and starter. I'm starting to think it might be that blue relay by the battery as it seems to be a common problem on google groups. Since it's only 15 $ I'll replace it and let you guys know.

Old 02-18-05, 02:20 PM
Stick shift or Automatic trans?. Sound like Inhibitor Relay(starter relay) is bad.

Old 02-21-05, 05:59 AM
Auto and ys it seems to be bad, truck would not start so I jumped the connector on that blue relay beside the battery and it fired right up, I've got a new relay on order.