Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

94 camry front brake hang up.

02-19-05, 04:02 AM   #1  
94 camry front brake hang up.

I changed the brakes about 2 months ago. also resurfaced rotors. I hear a clunking noise after stopping then going. I have not had a chance to look at it. ( working all weekend) but I am seeking some information on what I can look for first and what might be an easy fix. I am looking to save some time.

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links

02-19-05, 04:17 AM   #2  
You first have to go over the work you did. Look for loose bolts or hardware that's not fitted properly.

What brand and quality of pad did you use? Are the caliper slides free?

02-19-05, 03:49 PM   #3  
Pads were Bosch ceramics. I have no idea what you mean by slide free calipers.

Thanks
Jim

02-19-05, 04:12 PM   #4  
The slides are the mounting that the caliper slides on and is an extremely important part of the brake system.

It has to move freely each time the brake is applied and moves to compensate for pad wear.

It is common for them to bind and cause problems. Causing uneven pad wear, pulls, low pedal, noises ect.

02-19-05, 04:12 PM   #5  
most calipers are of a floating design which they will slide back and forth on pins when you apply brake and release the pins can get frozen up and cause the caliper not to slide freely which can cause problems but mostly uneven pad wear as the majority of braking will be done using the pad on the piston side of the caliper due to the caliper being frozen in one position.
check to make sure there is not excessive play where the pad fits that could be causing a clicking noise some pads may use shims or matal clips on the end of the pad to take up play they may have not came with the new pads.
some aftermarket rotors can cause the noise you describe due to a loose fit and oversized holes i dont think this would be your problem if you just had them resurfaced.
also just check to make sure all caliper and bracket bolts are secure and tight.

Search this Thread