Is it ok to change brands of oil?

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-05, 05:43 AM
Is it ok to change brands of oil?

I've always used Pennzoil 10w-30 Synthetic in one of my vehicles. It has close to 60k miles and I wanted to start using Mobil synthetic oil. I've heard that changing brands could lead to problems, is that true?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-05, 08:01 AM
I haven't heard that for switching oils.... I did hear it for mixing oils. Either way, I think it's an old wive's tale with modern oils.

Old 02-19-05, 08:17 PM
Both are quality oils. You will create no problems by switching brands.
They claim it is even ok to mix brands although I will not do it except in an emergency.

Old 02-22-05, 03:08 PM
the rule of thumb is as posted, don't mix brands. The proper way to change brands is to completely drain the current oil and refill with the replacement brand.
There is no reason to use a synthetic oil unless: 1. you live in an extremely cold climate (it helps start up) or 2. you have more money than you know what to do with.

Old 02-22-05, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by RonLG
the rule of thumb is as posted, don't mix brands. The proper way to change brands is to completely drain the current oil and refill with the replacement brand.
There is no reason to use a synthetic oil unless: 1. you live in an extremely cold climate (it helps start up) or 2. you have more money than you know what to do with.
The reason to use synthetic is to give the engine the best protection possible. The colder it is the more difference there is in cold start protection. Synthetic is also far superior under high heat & high load conditions. Synthetic simply lubricates better under all conditions.

Many people will argue that it is not cost effective to use synthetic. This is something each owner can decide for his or herself. When you take longer oil change intervals possible with synthetic into consideration, there is little or no cost difference.

If you only keep a vehicle a short time you may not benefit from synthetic but the future owner(s) will. If you want your engine to last as long as possible then synthetic is the best choice.

Old 02-24-05, 02:51 PM
most oil filters arent good for more than 3000k anyhow, so you may as well use regular oil

Old 02-24-05, 03:19 PM
Yes you can change brands or to a regular oil without causing damage to the engine.This thread is now closed because the original question has been answered and already the oil (dino vs synthetic) debate is starting again.

Closed Thread