Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

desperate for help

Visiting Guest

02-19-05, 02:13 PM   #1  
robi551
desperate for help

i have a 1988 chev beretta that i recently took off the road and had no problems with it would always start first turn-then it sat for a month and i went to start it and it wants to turn over but wont-took battery to the garage they said battery was toast so i bought a new one no difference in starting it just keeps draining the battery-i checked fuel and spark and it has lots of both -so i have no idea please help-it is a chev beretta 2.8-thank u for any help u can give

Sponsored Links

02-19-05, 03:35 PM   #2  
is it turning over at all? have you had the altenator checked?

Visiting Guest

02-20-05, 03:23 PM   #3  
robi551
continuation

my beretta when i turn the key just keeps turning but doesnt start the engine and just keeps draining the battery. it does this with a new battery so is it the alternator....or if not what do i do

NC

02-20-05, 09:02 PM   #4  
It's not the alternator. The alternator provides power and keeps the battery charged when the engine is running, nothing to do with a no start problem. Make sure nothing is blocking the exhaust. You'll need to describe how you checked for fuel, if with a guage, what was the fuel pressure? A couple squirts of starting fluid down the throttle body may help isolate the problem. Wondering if it's just old gas.........

Check back, a mechanic should be here to help you out.

Post miles on odometer, and engine size

Visiting Guest

02-21-05, 07:28 AM   #5  
robi551
still need help

it is a 1988 chev beretta 2.8l it sounds like it wants to start just doesnt fully turn over i am stumped on this one it has plently of fuel and spark so i dont know-how do u know if its old gas because it started fine a month ago...i desperately need to get this car running for work but cant afford a mechanic right now please help

02-21-05, 01:43 PM   #6  
Have you checked the air filter to see if something built a nest in there clogging the intake.Please post the actual fuel pressure you have,don't just figure you have lots of gas.You will also need to check for injector pulse with a noid light.

Visiting Guest

02-22-05, 10:33 AM   #7  
bag
I had a 1988 chevy berretta drove it to Arizona got there went to start it in the morning wouldnt start. to make a long story short the catalytic converter was plugged so i got a new one and the car gave me another 2 years of worry free driving then i traded it.

Visiting Guest

02-24-05, 11:12 AM   #8  
scan
think bag is right

I was going to suggest the plugged cat converter

Search this Thread