Transmission Flush Question

Old 02-19-05, 02:41 PM
Transmission Flush Question

I had my transmission flushed. The bill had an item for $22.00 called a transmission flush kit or something like that. I imagine it was some sort of splice kit to make is easier to hook onto the equipment doing the flushing. Am I right on this? If I look underneath my vehicle what will this "kit" look like? Where do they make the splice if that is what they do? Can this be used in the future? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-05, 03:03 PM
The kit that you refer to may be a chemical that is used. Some flush machines require you to add a “kit” for each flush. The machine requires you to scan (with a barcode scanner) the label of the kit to allow you to start the flush. With a brake flush for some machines (BG) the jug of brake fluid has to be scanned for each flush. The jug cost the shop about $25.

The kit can only be scanned once, so each flush requires a new “kit”.

The companies who sell the flush machines are in the business to sell chemicals (“kits”).

Old 02-19-05, 03:24 PM
Sounds as if the equipment maker is "double dipping". Is the chemical kit a transmission fluid additive and what is its stated purpose? Thanks.

Old 02-19-05, 04:00 PM
I don’t understand what is double dipping.

The company either gives the equipment away or sells it at a very reduced price to the shop owner. They expect to sell chemicals or supplies to be used in the machines and make a profit.

The shop owner is providing a service to market to make a profit. He needs to make money to spend on your product or service. That’s what makes the world go round. As long as the service is priced fair and reasonable and done correctly everything is good.

Just another product or service to sell and make a profit. The additive is supposed to enhance the flush in some way. I personally don’t agree with adding chemicals.

In some cases the “kit” could be the actual fluid used.

Was the “kit” above and beyond the original price quoted?

Old 02-19-05, 04:29 PM
I have no problem with the service or price. At this point I am just trying to determine what besides transmission fluid went into the transmission. I am assuming since the bill included a "kit" they put whatever was in the "kit" into the transmission since it was listed seperately on the bill in addition to 11 quarts of fluid.

Old 02-19-05, 04:33 PM
I think you should ask who ever did the service what the "kit" is.

Old 02-19-05, 04:34 PM
And yes. the dealers original price was the final price. It is a quality dealership and at this point I am only trying to determine what the service included. Probably should have read the invioce and asked them when I picked up the vehicle but I didn't and I thought I would try this forum.

Old 02-19-05, 04:45 PM
Just give them a call...I'm sure they would be glad to explain.

Old 02-19-05, 04:51 PM
The flush kits we use consist of 1 bottle of flush solvent, which helps remove debris/cleans the components and 1 bottle of treatment, which is added after the flush has been completed.