Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Abs/brake lights, speedometer inop, Dodge

02-21-05, 04:57 AM   #1  
Abs/brake lights, speedometer inop, Dodge

First Post! got a 99 Dodge Ram, went to town the other day, got behind a paving crew, played with the brakes a few times, jamming them lightly a few times. got to town, noticed the abs and brake lights were on, fluid is OK. Also speedo won't work until I reach 30 MPH. Checked my Chiltons, it stated if the rear abs releif valve dumps a dozen times it would hold the code (a dozen times in how long?) so I think if I disconnect the battery it will clear out, does this make sense?? Now what about the speedometer? does the rear end speed sensor control the speedometer? Advance Auto says they don't have a sensor for the rear, only for the trans. Or if I disconnect the batt can this somehow fix the speedometer.

Sponsored Links

02-21-05, 11:00 AM   #2  
selfish bump :mask:

02-21-05, 03:07 PM   #3  
You will need a speed sensor, the one that on transmission, before replacing the sensor, mark the location of the sensor and bracket hold the sensor to the trans (they are off set for different gear ratio), pull out the sensor and inspect the drive gear for damage, if the drive gear is OK, replace the sensor and the lights will goes out by themself when you hit above 15mph.

The ABS rear sensor on the diff case is backing up the one on the trans just in case it's (on trans) goes bad, the TCM uses the signal from ABS (rear diff) sensor to control up/down shift and preventing the trans goes into limp mode(burns up).

02-21-05, 04:16 PM   #4  
I'd like to make some correction on my above post.

Depending on what tranny you have, when you said speed sensor, I just assuming that the old style speed sensor with driven gear at the end.

Newer trans does not use driven gear at end of the sensor and the name has been changed from speed sensor(with gear) to output sensor(w/o gear), if so, you don't have to mark the sensor before removing it. There are two sensors on newer trans, the one close to the engine (front) called input and other(rear) called output, I have seen input, output, and or both goes bad, best way to do is have a scanner (Snap-on or a like) or DRB II from Dealer hook it up and see which one is not reading.

02-22-05, 08:00 AM   #5  
Thanks Much

Search this Thread